PDA

View Full Version : KnoppixKDEv2

eadz
02-13-2003, 10:50 AM
I am currently working on KnoppixKDE beta 2..

For those of you who have tried it, any requests for the next version ?

Ian Tindale
02-13-2003, 12:02 PM
I know it's not KDE family, but an up-to-the-minute Gaim v59.8 (the one that actually works on Yahoo IM) would be of use to a lot of people.

Alcar
02-13-2003, 02:52 PM
I would like to see a printer configuration capability like Knoppix.

lcapriotti
02-13-2003, 04:01 PM
OpenOffice, please!

eadz
02-13-2003, 04:17 PM
OpenOffice, please!

too big... koffice instead.. this is KnoppixKDE..

archtron
02-13-2003, 05:02 PM
Hi, KnoppixKDE is great but...
- To improv if possible the movie player, Noatun freeze with some videos and xine too, and block konqueror. That problems no exists in knoppix 3.1 where i see various movies in divx format.

- Not to use one click in files and folders. I like the double click. :wink:
- Change the bored gray background, the blue background like aqua is better.
- And please to eliminate the Suse Style framebuffer boot, i can't to use the command line. The texts appears in dark gray :cry:

god
02-13-2003, 05:56 PM
Hi, KnoppixKDE is great but...

- Not to use one click in files and folders. I like the double click. :wink:
- Change the bored gray background, the blue background like aqua is better.
- And please to eliminate the Suse Style framebuffer boot, i can't to use the command line. The texts appears in dark gray :cry:

most of these can be adjusted with the KDE control panel, can they not?

robelanator
02-13-2003, 06:10 PM
Is there a package list for KnoppixKDEv1 or, even better, a list of what will definately be in v2?

Suggestion: Include the hdinstall script by default! :D

true1ever
02-13-2003, 07:28 PM
I am currently working on KnoppixKDE beta 2..

For those of you who have tried it, any requests for the next version ?

I tried it and it looks great... thanks for the job in putting it all together... As far as things that I have noticed that still need a little tweaking:
1) telnet doesn't work
2) timidity doesn't work
3) gimp doesn't appear in the menus (runs fine from command line)
4) Quanta plus crashes on load (SIGSEV)

regards and thanks again. Great job on the first beta release!

Jim

eadz
02-13-2003, 07:38 PM
[quote=eadz]

Weird.. as the guy who reviewed it managed to load Quanta no probs.

Maybe something funny with your cd / mam memory ?

aay
02-13-2003, 08:00 PM
Wlcardconfig would be a great addition.

I also put my vote in for Gaim.

What would you think about substituting Phoenix for Mozilla? Phoenix has all the browsing features of mozilla and is smaller and faster. I don't think people are using the html editor (though i could be wrong) and for e-mail there is Kmail.

On a more optional note....I know that you played around with a preemptible kernel for Knoppix. Was it stable? If it worked well, it would be pretty cool to try out.

Can't think of anything else now.

true1ever
02-13-2003, 08:17 PM
I will do a memtest and try it with another CD also and let you know.

thanks,
Jim

[quote=eadz]

Weird.. as the guy who reviewed it managed to load Quanta no probs.

Maybe something funny with your cd / mam memory ?

thadk
02-14-2003, 04:49 AM
Add Wine (and winesetuptk, Xwine) and menus so stuff like gimp get listed and I think it'll be near perfect.

(Phoenix would be nice too but since konq 3.1 has tabs it doesn't matter so much)

aay
02-14-2003, 06:37 AM
I poped back onto this thread soley to suggest the inclusion of WINE. I'm glad the previous post already mentioned this. WINE would be a welcomed addition.

frankw
02-14-2003, 11:27 AM
What would you think about substituting Phoenix for Mozilla? Phoenix has all the browsing features of mozilla and is smaller and faster. I don't think people are using the html editor (though i could be wrong) and for e-mail there is Kmail.

Mozilla should be there:
e-mail client can filter imap, the 1.3 views, ...
DOM-inspector is very useful
Calendar
...more (does Phoenix support xml/xslt?)

Frank

Bort
02-14-2003, 10:36 PM
Hey I love KnoppixKDE "best . distro . ever" as the comic book guy from simpsons would say. I would suggest Wine, xChat a must, Phoenix, Apache w/ PHP 4 | Mysql. Heh and possibly the ut2003 linux demo ;)

[Edit: and a preset password for root like "knoppix"]

Rixel
02-14-2003, 11:33 PM
an option to create a boot floppy, please (I tried the image on the iso, but it didn't seem to work).

Thanks!

(Great distro, btw)

LinuxIdiot
02-15-2003, 01:40 AM
Gaim most current cvs

oscar
02-15-2003, 06:32 AM
xine wth plugin to view subtitles

kernel patched to support lm_sensors (for hardware monitoring)

Alchemist
02-16-2003, 01:58 AM
startup option to remove that framebuffer. I hate it. please, I'd just like to be able to have the original knoppix style fb.

zzyzx
02-16-2003, 03:17 PM
I have never used your disk, you may be touching the tip of the iceberg of potential KDE apps. Many you have to compile from source at www.kde.org.

How about gambas.

How about php with php-gtk, php-gd.

gonzalez
02-16-2003, 06:40 PM
I'd like to see Koctave (a front-end for the popular octave math package) in the next version. I don't know if it's debianized, but works with KDE 3.1. Thanks in advance.

archtron
02-17-2003, 03:54 PM
Xine as default movie player, noatun is inestable.

startup option to remove that new framebuffer boot.

ckapsl
02-18-2003, 04:18 AM
Knoppix KDE rocks! I have been playing with it for the last couple of days and have been VERY impressed.

Suggestions:
The boot menu - list the original Knoppix boot options when F2 is pressed.
kWiFiManager - the configuration doesn't get saved.

Any idea when you may have this available?

ckapsl
02-18-2003, 04:50 AM
Also - I didn't seem to find boot.img in the KNOPPIX directory on the CD. This breaks the mkfloppy.bat script to be used to build a boot floppy.

Thanks!

RaviSingh
02-20-2003, 08:58 PM
I installed KnoppixKDE and I am I having a blast using it, and you're looking at a guy who was (key word is WAS) Pro Microsoft. I've customized the crap out of the look and feel and have this thing looking the way I like. Here are somethings you might want to consider in your next version. :lol:

On HD Installs

1 - my internet was not working, eth0 was not configured. I had to run netcardconfig inorder to surf the web. It would not save these settings and I would have to run netcardconfig everytime I booted in. (might be a bug)

2 - XCursor still showing up on menus throughout KDE

3 - If a user chooses to install, is there a way to have the installer edit the FStab file to allow for hard drive mounts, instead of a user having to edit the file himself. I noticed that was a question that came up at least ten times a day in various forums. i.e. "I installed but can't access my windows partition..."

4 - Maybe have an installer app right in the K menu when booted into the cd. That's another question we can get out of the forums "I love it, How Do I install...."

Rav

rupert
02-23-2003, 09:39 PM
any chance to get the nvidia driver installed?
se my post here:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=942

probono
02-23-2003, 10:33 PM
KnoppixKDE rules!

My wishes:

* LyX (the new QT/KDE version)
* apache, PHP, mysql (for web development)
* gaim (as long as kopete does not work with AIM)
* Bootsplash animated Progress Bar (the Suse Patch CAN do that!)

Looking forward the next KnoppixKDE!

melenas
02-24-2003, 11:28 AM
Why not install "kde-i18n-**" packages to put KDE desktop in other languages?
At least the three or four most important.

just Nick
02-24-2003, 06:12 PM
Hi,
I've had a look at KnoppixKDE and missed GIMP. Have I just been blind or is it really missing?

I would love seeing it in KnoppixKDE, as well as Evolution.
Sorry to read about OO.org not being to become part of it, because I really prefer it over KOffice (my personal opinion).

Otherwise:
Nice thingy.

aay
02-24-2003, 09:44 PM
Hi,
I've had a look at KnoppixKDE and missed GIMP. Have I just been blind or is it really missing?

Gimp is there it's just not in the menu. Try Alt-F2, gimp or run if from the command line.

eadz
02-24-2003, 10:35 PM
Hi,

I would love seeing it in KnoppixKDE, as well as Evolution.
Sorry to read about OO.org not being to become part of it, because I really prefer it over KOffice (my personal opinion).

Otherwise:
Nice thingy.

Thanks, and Gimp is on there, just not in the menu. There was a problem with the kappfinder it seems.
And yeah, openoffice would be nice, but as it's a KDE promo thing, it needs Koffice on there, and there wasn't enough room for OO as well.

dw
02-25-2003, 08:26 PM
KnoppixKDE is great.

Here are some ideas for V2.

1. Put xvidtune in KDE menu (K->KNOPPIX->Configure->Monitor)
2. Put wheelmouse select in KDE menu (K->KNOPPIX->Configure->Mouse)
3. Games: L2Breakout, Frozen Bubble
4. Applications: Acrobat Reader, Opera Web Browser
5. ALSA sound drivers

aay
02-25-2003, 10:18 PM
KnoppixKDE is great.

Here are some ideas for V2.

1. Put xvidtune in KDE menu (K->KNOPPIX->Configure->Monitor)
2. Put wheelmouse select in KDE menu (K->KNOPPIX->Configure->Mouse)
3. Games: L2Breakout, Frozen Bubble
4. Applications: Acrobat Reader, Opera Web Browser
5. ALSA sound drivers

I particularly agree with #5. I've tried using Rosegarden4 which is on the CD and I keep getting audio problems. They should be solved with the addition of ALSA and JACK. ALSA would probably also help out a lot of the sound card problems that we see in here on the forums. If I can get Rosegarden4 to work and to receive midi input from a keyboard/synth I will be in heaven. The one application I have to keep running windows for is Finale. I want to see how Rosegarden4 compares. Anyway, I hope that ALSA makes it in too.

bhsx
02-26-2003, 07:30 PM
A couple new cheat codes come to mind...

knoppix xquery [IP] *query an outside X-server rather than from CD
knoppix non-fb *no framebuffer startup (i know it's been mentioned)
knoppix iso=[iso location] *such as iso=/dev/hda1/temp/knoppix.iso

I know that last one is a bit obscure, but it would allow for burning just the isolinux stuff you've made and boot off an iso sitting on the hdd, speeding development.

It would also be great if kappfind or something of that sort works correctly in the chrooted environment. I'm personally having problems updating the menu system, and keeping changes such as kicker configurations while remastering, though i'm sure that that's due to my own ignorance. :)
As someone else noted, after knx-hdinstall netcardconfig is needed, that will need to be fixed.

On a side note about your project, do you think you could provide scripts, examples or a good howto on the splash stuff, I didn't quite "get it" from your brief howto in the original knoppixkde thread.

Tekmaven
02-27-2003, 08:02 PM
KnoppixKDE is great.

You should add the Java2 SDK <--- not the gtk version, its incomplete

probono
03-01-2003, 08:16 PM
knoppix non-fb *no framebuffer startup (i know it's been mentioned)

is
vga=0 what you are looking for?

bhsx
03-04-2003, 10:11 PM
I just started a thread in the forum about this, but please see:
http://lufs.sf.net
It is a kernel module that does basically the same thing as kio_fish, but on a system-wide level. You can use it to mount ssh, sftp, ftp and will soon include http and webDAV. This would allow easy access to home/work directories from within any application in Knoppix. I'm guessing you could even use this with persistent home allowing you to make your home dir a LUFS such as:
mount -t lufs none /mnt/home -o nosuid,fs=sshfs,host=MYdynamicIP.yi.org,username=m ali,fmode=444,dmode=555

That would be awesome.
So, to sum up: Please include LUFS in your new kernel for v2.

thadk
03-06-2003, 07:08 AM
the lufs module would be *very* nice in knoppix. thanks for the linkage.

babo
03-06-2003, 11:00 AM
knoppix is good!
I want to use chiese(GB) input!
thanks

Phredd
03-06-2003, 09:28 PM
How about ogle and ogle_gui?!?

David Douthitt
03-07-2003, 06:45 PM
This is fantastic. Much more than I expected. Excellent work!

However, I ran into several problems right up front:

1. Ruby is missing. This caused my boot scripts to fail, since I use ruby scripts to do the actual work.

2. Screen is missing. I use this daily and missed it immediately. My standard Knoppix configuration includes a panel icon to select a Konsole "screen" session...

3. Mutt is missing. I use this almost daily and miss it.

4. ksh is missing. Why not add pdksh?

5. If you select the text consoles, they all have still have the "frame" from the startup, and no text is visible unless it is in a bold color (which does not include ANY normal text). This means that any errors that occur during the startup (or indeed, any standard text) is not visible.

6. Mosfet's Liquid has some problems with its "Window Decorations"; there is a space between the window title bar and the window that picks up the background present when the window is originally created.

Keep up the good work! And you've got 200+ megabytes.... why not put screen and ruby back in? Perl is present, and so is Python. There's more Ruby users in Japan than Python users ;-)

MichielioZ
03-19-2003, 07:36 PM
I installed KnoppixKDE and I am I having a blast using it, and you're looking at a guy who was (key word is WAS) Pro Microsoft. I've customized the crap out of the look and feel and have this thing looking the way I like. Here are somethings you might want to consider in your next version. :lol:

On HD Installs

1 - my internet was not working, eth0 was not configured. I had to run netcardconfig inorder to surf the web. It would not save these settings and I would have to run netcardconfig everytime I booted in. (might be a bug)

Rav

Eadz, can you please say anything 'bout this problem... I seem to have the same problem (DHCP network here) ??!!
I really like how you integrated Samba configuration and "easy window shares" and stuff, I looked fpr that in every other KDE3.1 version (Morphix or Knoppix3.2 both don't have it)...
Maybe you can tell us how you did this ?
Thanx in advance for your reply.

probono
03-20-2003, 02:05 PM
KnoppixKDE should include every single available debian KDE app. At the same time it should be made sure that it won't give problems with broken libraries when installed to HD and upgraded. So use only official debian packages please.

That would rock!

Non-KDE apps should be limited to those where no KDE equivalents exist (e. g. apache, lyx). Mozilla, for example, goes in the wrong direction because there IS a KDE browser. (It's ok to include it as long as there is free space, but once there are enough KDE apps... it has to go...)

Btw, 3.1.1 is out for debian: http://download.at.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/3.1.1/Debian/README

In my opinion, KnoppixKDE is the best Knoppix around, even better than the original!

probono
03-21-2003, 07:20 PM
startup option to remove that framebuffer.knoppix vga=0
I hate it! I love it! Especially when you use it with your own image and perhaps somedays a graphic progress bar like in Mac OS or with animations like in SuSE.[/quote]

baldyeti
03-22-2003, 02:23 PM
Hi, thanks for the hard work.

I'd like to request the inclusion of telnet and gvim+kvim

On my system, sound/mp3 playing (either noatun or xmms)
does not seem to work (cheap VIA embedded AC97).
The startup greeting message can be heard, though...

Also, when selecting textmode (knoppix 2), one should
be given the opportunity to choose a keyboard driver.
Ideally, this should be a cheat code, distinct from the
language selection (say, knoppix kbd=xx)

Cheers.

shlomil
03-22-2003, 05:10 PM
most of what i had to say was already written here.
all i want to say is that i don't think you should put more non-kde apps in it, but you should at least insert an entry in the menu for the non-kde that are included.
i think adding some non-kde games like LBreakout,FrozenBubble or maelstrom will not effect the cause of the KDE promotion. but i don't think you should add gaim. Let people use kopete ! :twisted: So that way, they'll see the need of developing kopete. After all, this is the cause behind KnoppixKDE , isn't it ?
about the text color in terminal 1-4 i must agree it's bad, but i like the idea,so, maybe you should just put a lighter background so text becomes readable.
i'm working on the hebrew remaster of KnoppixKDE and someone asked for kvim. also, i don't see why no installing all language packs for i18n . i had to install hebrew, russian and arabic in my remaster.

i also hope the next KnoppixKDE will include the new KDE 3.1.1 and will be based on the new knoppix 3.2 with all the new features of it.

That it for now :) keep on the great work !

Regards,
Shlomi.

probono
03-22-2003, 07:51 PM
all i want to say is that i don't think you should put more non-kde apps in it, but you should at least insert an entry in the menu for the non-kde that are included. i don't think you should add gaim. Let people use kopete ! :twisted: So that way, they'll see the need of developing kopete. Perhaps non-KDE apps such as mozilla and gaim could be included *but not shown in the menus at all* as long as there is free space left that is not used by KDE apps. That way, you would have to use Alt-F2 to launch the non-KDE stuff...

probono
03-30-2003, 08:30 AM
eadz, here is an interesting piece of software to make KnoppixKDE look even better: http://knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1529 - superior font rendering. Please add it.

probono
04-15-2003, 04:40 AM
imagemagick should be included. Why? e. g. to rotate, resize and sharpen images in Konqueror with a context menu as described in http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8827#8827

acpiek
06-30-2003, 11:01 AM
I haven't tried KnoppixKDE yet, but I'd like to see SuperKaramba included for more customization, if possible.

Kind regards,
Chris