PDA

View Full Version : eMachines m6805 AMD64...

zagman
02-02-2004, 09:04 PM
Hello - I am considering getting the eMachines m6805 Laptop with the AMD64 processor, and I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts this:
I want to wipe Window$ XP Home and do a HD install.
Does Knoppix work on this machine (with no tweaks)?
Does Knoppix support a 64-bit processor?
Is there a distro which will take advantage of the 64-bit processor?

Thanks!!!

arkaine23
02-02-2004, 09:41 PM
knoppix should work, and there's no harm in trying anyway... The wireless network card might not bew supported, and you'd need to pull some tricks such as loading it off a floppy or hard drive installing knoppix and then setup the network card. I know the linux driver for that card exists, just don't know if knoppix has it...

It won't take advantage of the 64 bit CPU though. For that you should use gentoo/suse/debian/redhat/mandrake- any of those have versions that are specifically for AMD64.

bmann
02-18-2004, 01:52 AM
I just bought an m6805, burned a shiny new KNOPPIX_V3.3-2004-02-16-EN.iso, put it in the drive and rebooted.

It got to APM, then stopped cold. I added the noapm cheatcode, it still stopped. Tried failsafe, still no go. :x

I haven't given up, and I'll post back here if I get it to work.

zagman
02-18-2004, 02:24 AM
I got the m6508 - these cheat codes will work:
knoppix noapm nopcmcia noaudio (optional)

Those should let you boot. I still have not gotten the Wireless to work yet...

Perhaps we'll have to wait until more people who are more knowledgable to get this machine and test and fix... :D

CoolSilver
03-07-2004, 08:03 AM
I just bought an m6805, burned a shiny new KNOPPIX_V3.3-2004-02-16-EN.iso, put it in the drive and rebooted.

It got to APM, then stopped cold. I added the noapm cheatcode, it still stopped. Tried failsafe, still no go. :x

I haven't given up, and I'll post back here if I get it to work.

Same thing here I got the thing to go past the APM but then had problems with the Pcmcia Card Manager to start

Tried
Knoppix noapm
Knoppix noapm failsafe

I even tried setting a smaller screen resolution....

CoolSilver
03-07-2004, 08:07 AM
knoppix should work, and there's no harm in trying anyway... The wireless network card might not bew supported, and you'd need to pull some tricks such as loading it off a floppy or hard drive installing knoppix and then setup the network card. I know the linux driver for that card exists, just don't know if knoppix has it...

It won't take advantage of the 64 bit CPU though. For that you should use gentoo/suse/debian/redhat/mandrake- any of those have versions that are specifically for AMD64.

It's a broadcom Chipset... The Driverloader should work but all my attempts at my older Compaq armada laptop and a Linksys g card failed....

It hated me, Wouldnt install

CoolSilver
03-07-2004, 09:24 AM
Tried it

Knoppix noapm nopcmcia
boots fine... dont like via's sound... keeps making noise

tried it without the Noapm and works... seems like the wlan on the minipci card bus or the pcmcia in general is hated by linux

and no usb optical mouse works although it loads the usb drivers ok
NO Onboard Nic.... (Linux drivers on Hd for onboard nic.... I missed them at first glance)
.... I dunno

I want it to work... esp with my wireless but the pcibus is a pain

3.4 c't loads pci just fine... Cant get nic drivers installed and still unsupported audio noise... I cant ever get things to install.... Read only file system

arkaine23
03-10-2004, 01:28 AM
read-only filesystem = running from CD-rom

Remastering or hdd-installing could work around some of these driver issues. If anyone posts the drivers needed I'll try to add them to my 3.4 C't remastered CD.

fredp
06-04-2004, 06:51 PM
I'm considering buying an e-machines M6805 for almost exclusive linux use (32-bit legacy mode is fine for now). I'm curious, are people happy with these machines when running knoppix (and/or linux distros)?

thanks!