PDA

View Full Version : Passwords...

Meddigo Flame
02-02-2004, 09:56 PM
Hi, im trying to install a driver for my wireless card, but when i try to it asks me for a password, I have seen on the window that comes up when i first boot into knoppix that there is no password, its all been disabled or something like that. what can i do? its annoying me that I have to wire my laptop to get on the net atm, so wot can I do about the password? cheers,

the driver for my wireless card is off this topic http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5778&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I have got the driver off the first link there, as wel as the link off the second page. i havent tryed the second one, but i gues it wil ask for the same thing, any help is gr8!

cheers!

johnb
02-02-2004, 11:35 PM
To set the password. Click on the penguin icon then open a root shell. Type the command:

passwd

type in your new password (twice, error checking). Now you should be able to get past the password screen.

johnb

Meddigo Flame
02-03-2004, 12:39 AM
Thanks alot! Worked a treat! Though the file wont install now....

Cuddles
02-03-2004, 04:07 AM
Meddigo Flame,

1 st Question: Are you running off the CD, or have you done a Hard Drive Install :?:

Some things can't be done if you are just booting the CD ROM, but, some have been able to do a lot of things, that I didn't think you could do. But, we need to get a foundation of how your system is setup first.

So, first oder of business, do you boot Knoppix from the CD, or from your hard drive ?

Thanks,
Cuddles

Meddigo Flame
02-03-2004, 09:03 AM
hey cuddles,

yeh i am booting from cd. out of interest, hw much space does a harddrive installation take up and can i dual boot if i use sumit like power quests dual boot prog??

Cuddles
02-03-2004, 02:59 PM
No clue on the dual-boot issue, but...

Documentation I have on HD Installing Knoppix - Minimum Requirements:

Pentium-Class processor, preferably 300MHz +
64MB RAM
A spare partition on your disk, minimum 3GB
And the Knoppix CD

From my documentation - 3.GB is then broken down into Linux and Linux Swap:
Swap partition is recommended at minimum of 256MB
Linux partition is recommended at minimum of 2.5GB - don't know where 256MB went in their calculation :?:

As far as the dual-boot though, I do know that Knoppix prefers to use LILO, and can be cantancurous if it isn't using it - maybe LILO can be setup to boot Knoppix and your other boot manager :?: ( I don't know this one )

Cuddles

johnb
02-03-2004, 06:24 PM
hi
Dual boot is not a problem with knoppix in my experience. Llilo takes care of the job. No problems booting into linux or windows. I have installed a dual boot on 4 different computers including a laptop. Each computer had only one hard drive. They all needed their different cheat codes to make them happy...

I just did a "debian" style hard drive install(knoppix-installer) with an apt-get dist-upgrade after booting the computer. The full upgraded install was 2.7 gigs. This dosn't include the swap partition(usually twice your ram). I also run the knoppix-terminalopenmosixserver from the hard drive. Which at this point means copying the knoppix cd to the hard drive. You would also need to include space for all your own files(music, work, additional programs, ect).
johnb