PDA

View Full Version : Dual Head VGA Cards

rec9140
02-03-2004, 03:43 PM
Comments/suggestions on DUAL HEAD VGA cards for use with Knoppix.

I've looked at:

Matrox G450 32MB DDR
Xtasy GeForce4 MX 440™ 64MB DDR

Comments on cards which are most compatible w/Knoppix and KDE for dual output would be welcomed.

I prefer cards that have 2 *VGA* v. a VGA & DVI outputs.

Something that had 128MB or so memory would be a plus, but may push it out of the price range below.

Cost under $100.00 would be preffered, I don't game, but playback of media files ie: DVD, video etc. is important.

The ability to open KDE into 2 monitor and have say desktop 1 on mon 1 and desktop 2 on mon 2, or KDE on mon1 and a level 2 on mon2, or even 2 different users on each monitor doing what ever. Theres alot of combos to so I am looking for the card which Knoppix & KDE can support the best to get the most flexability.

gowator
02-06-2004, 01:57 PM
Matrox support is good but so far as I know Xv only works on the first head!

In other words you can only play DVD's on the frst head.

Its quite flexible cos it comes with a DVI/Composite/VHS adapter plugs into the DBA 15 connector so you can swap this over.

Ive had mixed success with nvidia in Tv out / dual monitor but must admit I havn't tried hard!!!

SUOrangeman
02-15-2004, 06:58 PM
After an install to my hard drive, I have successfully configred my dual-DVI GeForce4 card to use both of my LCDs (even though I am currently using one in analog mode).

Every GF4 (and later) -based card, as well as GF2 MX cards, support TwinView in Linux, giving you access to both screens. Unfortunately, Klaus has reasons to not include the nVidia driver necessary for multiple screen support. As a result, don't yet expect this type of support directly from his CD.

-SUO

Mitch
02-15-2005, 08:55 PM
Hey rec9140,

Hi. I have 2 Matrox Millennium G450s in my machine (one AGP card and one PCI card).
I've been trying to get my XF86Config-4 file set up just right to get various combinations
of screens, but have been having trouble. For example, only the first screen allows me to
change resolutions. The others default to my highest resolution. "Resize and Rotate"
won't work for the other 3. I've been looking through the /var/log/XF86Config.0.log for
clues and the XF86Config-4.5x.gz file for instructions, but what I need are EXAMPLES.
Do you have any suggestions where I could find some? Those examples bundeled with
the Matrox driver (from matrox's website) aren't sufficient to the task.

I'll be looking over http://www.xfree86.org/4.3.0/DRI10.html later this evening for more clues.

Later,

Mitch