PDA

View Full Version : acessing /mnt/ kills programs

TheSpider
02-04-2004, 12:58 AM
Whenever i try to have a non shell program access mnt it crashes and i have to send it the KILL signal to stop it, i can access and get a dir listing in shell just fine however.

Its most annoying as trying to access any of my FAT drives or my USB disk in konqueror requires me to misspell mnt otherwise konqueror tries to open it (if you are part way through typing say /mnt/hdc1/)

Thanks

tearinghairout
02-04-2004, 04:46 AM
I seem to have same problem.

I always assumed it was because my laptop has an external floppy disk which is hardly ever plugged in, and it gets hung up looking for that.
Is this the case with you?

I never really bothered to look into it as I do most things on the command line anyway.

fingers99
02-04-2004, 04:52 AM
Mmmm. Maybe. But I don't know why you're using Konqueror like that.

Why not just click on the device icon from the desktop?

gowator
02-04-2004, 05:13 PM
the problem is its trying to mount the devices and hanging on one.

The problem is likely to be in /etc/fstab....
as previously mentioned it might be a floppy or something that doesn't exist but when you say USB disk do you mean DISK or MEM CARD.

If its a mem card it might be one of those funny FAT12 devices that has no partition table...
i.e. its mounted under /dev/sda not /dev/sda1

TheSpider
02-07-2004, 06:31 AM
Ahh it IS the floppy. I dont have a floppy installed on my desktop machine and there is an error message in the background that i (stupidly) ignored before. Something like "I/O Error (something else in here) accessing floppy sector 0", it then keeps increasing the sector by 1 each time. Getting the exact error message requires me to crash KDE, which is annoying, so if you need it ill post it.

The noname USB disk (thumbdrive USB flash memory thing) is definately fat32, and it is mounted as sda1.

I modified my /etc/fstab file, rebooted and tried again, but it still tries to automount the floppy.

/etc/fstab is given as below

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
pts /dev/pts devpts mode=0622 0 0
#/dev/fd0 /mnt/auto/floppy auto user,noauto,exec,umask=000 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/auto/cdrom auto user,noauto,exec,ro 0 0
/dev/cdrom1 /mnt/auto/cdrom1 auto users,noauto,exec,ro 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hdc1 /mnt/hdc1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hdc2 /mnt/hdc2 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0

Does it default to automounting or something?

Thanks heaps!

squarris
01-06-2005, 10:05 PM
Hi, I am having exactly the same problem - did anyone eventually find a solution?

A bit more info about my setup. I have a Sony Vaio laptop FX405 which does come with a floppy drive but I have replaced it with an extra battery. I can view the mnt directory from the shell but from an app it just locks the entire box.

Thanks
Paul

Markus
01-06-2005, 11:11 PM
Can you live without automounting?
/etc/init.d/autofs stop
update-rc.d -f autofs remove

squarris
01-07-2005, 12:23 AM
Yes I can. I have just installed to HD so am happy to hack about with the config. I have been trying to remove the fd0 from being added to the mnt dir but am having trouble as am quite new.

Thanks for your help.

shah
01-07-2005, 01:57 AM
Try nofloppy as cheatcode or append to your bootloader (Grub or Lilo)
:D

squarris
01-12-2005, 11:43 PM
On your advice, i disabled automounting temporarily using "autofs stop". This fixes the problem completely.

I tried just removing "floppy" from knoppix-autoconfig but this didn't solve the problem on its own - its as if the automounter process is causing the problem.

My question is: How do I stop the automounter from starting up on boot? Do I need to manually alter the knoppix-autoconfig myself or is there a simpler way?

I am quite new and trying to learn about the guts of my system as I go (as I don't want to have to go back to Windows)....

Thanks

Markus
01-13-2005, 06:13 PM
It's started from:
/etc/rc2.d
/etc/rc3.d
/etc/rc4.d
/etc/rc5.d
and stopped at:
/etc/rc0.d
/etc/rc1.d
/etc/rc6.d

You can remove it with: update-rc.d -f autofs remove
and put it back with: update-rc.d autofs defaults

squarris
01-13-2005, 06:23 PM
great thanks - is update-rc.d the standard method of altering rc.d files rather than altering them directly? I will give it a go this evening....

Paul

Markus
01-13-2005, 06:55 PM
The standard debian way, yes. You can also use Kmenu -> System -> SysV-init editor to do this if you prefer a GUI.
Personally I prefer update-rc.d, just fired up sysv-init editor and it asked what OS I use ;)

CrashedAgain
01-13-2005, 11:22 PM
There should be a way to set automounter so that it will automount only the CD drive & not the floppy. This would be an automounter setup, try man autofs for starter.