PDA

View Full Version : Can't boot Knoppix (3.2) on my laptopl

freak_on_the_leash
02-04-2004, 12:45 PM
Hello!

I recently tried out Knoppix. Must say that i do like it. I'd also like it to install on my laptop ( Pentium II 265 MHz, 160mb ddr ram, 3.8 HB HD ).
At first i tried to boot from cd as i did on my other pc. But nothing. It just boots like usually to XP. So, i'd like to format the whole crappy thing and put Knoppix on it. I thought that perhapps win boot disk would help. Running fdisk on it. But when i got that used old thing that sopposed to remind a pc, it didn't came with floppy drive. And cd drive seems not to read cd's that i've burned.
I'm a totally newby and don't know what to do. If i could just manage to boot from Knoppix cd.
Maybe someone could help? I'd be most thankful.

Shrike
02-04-2004, 03:08 PM
I made the same mistake as you at first, you'll need to go into the BIOS settings and make sure that it attempts to boot from CD-ROM before HDD

johnb
02-04-2004, 05:43 PM
hi
once you have gotten the cd booting up at start-up. You should see a knoppix logo. At this screen you can hit the F2 button. This will take you to the cheat codes. More are availble in the Docs section on this website. You will probably need some of these to get knoppix up and running. The video on laptops I have found really benefit from these cheat codes.
johnb

freak_on_the_leash
02-04-2004, 06:33 PM
Ok, made Bios settings to boot from cd. Nothing, Still boots right to xp. If i get it boot fom cd. My problems would be solved. I think. From there i could use cfdisk to delete nasty NTFS partitution and make swap and linux partitutions. Right? And afther that. It should install Knooppix to my pc.
I did the same way to my other pc. Worked good. Nothing bad to say.

Just, something offtopic. Don't you just love Linux. I mean. It is so grat. And jet Windows is most used os. Strange. Bill isn't nice at all. Thinks nothing but the profit.

freak_on_the_leash
02-05-2004, 01:53 PM
Ok, i got it work. It seems that bios somehow didn't saved my setings. That's why it didn't boot from cd. I quess i did something wrong. Anyway. It's working. Deleted Win partitution and created Linux and Linux swap partitutions. Everything worked fine for a while. But Knoppix sais that i have no space in my hd left. And when i log in as user, it freeses. But as i log in as root, it works fine.
What could be the problem? And is there any change that Knoppix wouldn't take away all my hd space?

Thank you.

(I quess you have notised how bad my english is. Well, i'm sorry. I hope you'll understand.)