PDA

View Full Version : Editing hostnames

easog
02-04-2004, 05:45 PM
Another newbie question!
I'm trying to edit /etc/hostnames to reflect the machines I'm connecting to but keep getting told that the file is write protected. Where am I going wrong? What am I missing?

RockMumbles
02-05-2004, 06:04 PM
Are you running from cd or a hd install?

/etc/hostname is the name of the machine

The file you want to change is /etc/hosts

If you are running from cd you will have to save your new /etc/hosts file to a floppy, zip, thumb, hd or persistent home. Then you can remove the existing /etc/hosts file and use your new file.

More info about your system and network would help.

~rock

easog
02-16-2004, 05:24 PM
Hi
Running from CD
Sorry Slip of the pen, I meant /etc/hosts.
I'm using an IBM 600x laptop with a Linksys USB abaptor. Connecting to two creakingly old PowerPCs running AIX (this is the NHS after all).
How do I save to persistant home? I haven't got my head round the file system yet.

RockMumbles
02-16-2004, 07:44 PM
Do you have a fat32 hd installed in the laptop?
if so then...

In the KDE menu there should be a knoppix entry in it should be the make persistent home entry. You can use an existing fat32 hard drive or other writable media for your persistent home.

Or just save your edited /etc/hosts file on your hd and link to it. Using this approach I would pborably make an etc directory on your hd and place your new hosts file there, then as root (as an example, your hd may be a different device and have a different mountpoint)

rm /etc/hosts
ln -s /mnt/hda1/etc/hosts /etc/hosts

HTH

~rock