PDA

View Full Version : SCSI drive not recognized

jmassengill
12-08-2002, 08:16 PM
I have a 4 GB SCSI Conner/Seagate drive with a Adaptech AH1520/1522B SCSI board.
When i boot knoppix I can see the adaptech driver loading but when Knoppix loads fully, I can only see the drives on my computer that are FAT32. Can anyone think of what might be the problem?
Thanks in advance
Johnny Massengill

Dave_Bechtel
12-09-2002, 04:52 AM
--Issue ' cdrecord -scanbus ' as root and see if it pops up.

' dmesg | less ' will let you see the boot messages in a pager.

' fdisk -l /dev/sd? ' should list the partitions on all SCSI and SCSI-emulated drives (such as Zip and USB drives.)

--Also try this, if the fdisk lists a fat32 partition:
' mkdir /mnt/tmp '
' mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/tmp '

--Substitute where necessary for sda1. (sdb4, etc)

--Post back here with results.

I have a 4 GB SCSI Conner/Seagate drive with a Adaptech AH1520/1522B SCSI board.
When i boot knoppix I can see the adaptech driver loading but when Knoppix loads fully, I can only see the drives on my computer that are FAT32. Can anyone think of what might be the problem?
Thanks in advance
Johnny Massengill

jmassengill
12-09-2002, 06:11 PM
after running the 'dmesg | less ' command I found this message:
aha152x: BIOX test: passed, auto configuration: ok, detected 1 controller(s)
aha152x: resetting bus...
aha152x1: vital data: rev=3, io=0x140 (0x140/0x140), irq=12, scsiid=7, reconnect=enabled, parity=enabled, synchronous=enabled, delay=1000, ext ended translation=disabled
aha152x1: trying software interrupt, lost.
aha152x1: IRQ12 possible wrong. Please verify
I am going to check the irq and change it if necessary and I'll post an update
Thanks for all the help,
Johnny Massengill

jmassengill
12-10-2002, 12:08 AM
Well, after changing the settings in the BIOS of the PC and the BIOS of the drive, it finally did "see" the drive! (i used the expert mode to boot with so i could see what was going on) and because the drive was formatted NTFS(under windows 2000) it gave an error "Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 01:01"
if anyone knows a way to get around this error, I am all ears
Thanks in advance
Johnny Massengill

Dave_Bechtel
12-10-2002, 07:32 AM
--Well, it's progress :)

--If I were you, I'd backup the data (zip is a good option, you can even do it from Linux - ' man zip '), reformat the drive for FAT32 and restore. NTFS is a pain for compatibility, Linux barely supports read-only for it. (Blame MS.)

--If you're getting a kernel panic from the CD at boot, try supplying the kernel with the amount of RAM you have; i.e. boot: ' knoppix mem=190M ' is what I use with 196Meg of Ram.

--Keep us updated on the progress...

Well, after changing the settings in the BIOS of the PC and the BIOS of the drive, it finally did "see" the drive! (i used the expert mode to boot with so i could see what was going on) and because the drive was formatted NTFS(under windows 2000) it gave an error "Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 01:01"
Thanks in advance
Johnny Massengill

aay
12-11-2002, 09:09 PM
If I were you, I'd backup the data (zip is a good option, you can even do it from Linux - ' man zip '), reformat the drive for FAT32 and restore. NTFS is a pain for compatibility, Linux barely supports read-only for it.

Thanks in advance
Johnny Massengill

I'd say Dave is right. If you want to access files on a windows partition, you really should just reformat and use FAT32. It's a pain but it works. If you want to have a dedicated machine running windows then you can try samba.