PDA

View Full Version : GRUB experts?

bamarob
02-13-2003, 10:17 PM
Any GRUB experts among us?

I have knoppix installed to the HD working great. I just upgraded to the 1-20-03 version. When I installed an earlier version, I had GRUB set up to boot either Win98 (hda1) or Knoppix (hdd2). With this install, I decided to give ReiserFS a try and formatted hdd2 as ReiserFS. Everything installed fine and it works great when booting with a boot floppy. However, apparently, GRUB needs a Stage1_5 entry when using a boot image on a ReiserFS partition. The GRUB screen comes up fine and Win98 boots fine, but when I select Knoppix. I get a kenel fault error.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Robert

RockMumbles
02-14-2003, 09:23 AM
I had reiserfs on a libranet box and in the install it made you make an ext2 /boot partition on it so you could boot from your hd.

That's one of the reasons I've been using ext3.

rock

bamarob
02-14-2003, 03:42 PM
Hmm. Guess I'll just keep booting with the floppy. :(

Neje
03-03-2003, 07:51 PM
For what it's worth: from the Gentoo Linux installation instructions (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-install.xml):
"Important: If your boot partition (the one holding the kernel) is ReiserFS, be sure to mount it with the -o notail option so GRUB gets properly installed. Make sure that notail ends up in your new /etc/fstab boot partition entry, too."
I haven't tried this myself though (I took the easy route and used ext3 like rock).
Hope it helps,

Neje