PDA

View Full Version : KDE 3.2 update. anyone suceed??

wmcn
02-04-2004, 09:33 PM
hi,
kdm screws up on me after a 3.2 kde upgrade.
i dont think it correctly installed..
kdeinit error is reported before the splash screen and the login is streched across the whole middle screen. I can still login but not see what Im typing. also fonts have vanished. I have to set console to courier to see anything.

how do I apt-get correct my kde install.?

cheers,
bill

Stephen
02-04-2004, 11:04 PM
hi,
kdm screws up on me after a 3.2 kde upgrade.
i dont think it correctly installed..
kdeinit error is reported before the splash screen and the login is streched across the whole middle screen. I can still login but not see what Im typing. also fonts have vanished. I have to set console to courier to see anything.

how do I apt-get correct my kde install.?

cheers,
bill

To check to see if you have any leftovers from 3.1 that you may have to upgrade use COLUMNS=125 dpkg -l | grep 3.1.[345] that should give you a list of any that are still at the old version. Once logged in go into the Control Center then System Administration and choose the Login Manager and make some adjustments to the settings after having used the Administrator Mode button to become root. Where are you getting the packages from?

garyng
02-05-2004, 05:12 AM
sounds like what I have encountered before. It could be qt rather KDE related. My fix was to remove the 'bitmap fonts' from the fontconfig list. Don't know if you are seeing the same error though but sounds familiar, basically my problem is all the standard fonts KDE used(especially KDM) got screwed up(not the font itself, just the way it is presented through fontconfig) which makes QT not happy and the calculation of the positon etc all went wrong. So you see the dialog, the splash etc. but there is no text just a long line(like underscore) across.