PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix-update

god
02-14-2003, 04:50 AM
Would it be possible to include with each knoppix distro a list of all the files in it, and all the changes from the old distr0(changelog--yeah i know... here comes the innovative part) and then when a new distro comes out, you can just download the new files and then pack it with the unchanged files and create a new iso... that would relieve the servers a bit on release days....

I am not asking for this, so much as asking for an analysis......

A. Jorge Garcia
02-14-2003, 04:25 PM
To get a list of all installed packages when booted-up in KNOPPIX, simply open a shell and issue the command line:

dpkg -l

The output is very long so you may want to redirect to a file on home/knoppix:

dpkg -l >> packages.txt

My question is, if you do this for 2 different CDs, how do you compare the contents of the 2 files to see whats the same and whats different. Say I save these to /mnt/floppy as p1.txt and p2.txt. Sorry, I know this is Linux 101, but the console command for this escapes me for at the moment!

Also, what if one of the CDs is remastered? I have a remaster of V3.1-31-10-2002-EN.iso where the *.ogg files and games are removed to make room for Java SDK 1.4.1 (j2se) downloaded from http://java.sun.com and installed during the remastering process. Will dpkg list the java packages that were added?

BTW, if you want a longer description of whats installed in one of the listed packages in your packages.txt file, say java-common, you write:

dpkg -L java-common

If you want to add this to the end of your existing packages.txt file:

dpkg -L java-common > packages.txt

Good Luck!

Regards,