PDA

View Full Version : How can I use a local /mybin directory?

pelican
02-05-2004, 04:16 PM
I wish to use a local /mybin directory for various scripts.
What is the best way to do this?

On other machines I normally use /usr/local/bin which is empty in most distros or soft link /usr/local/bin to /home/bin. I have about a hundred scripts and other files there.

On Knoppix I cannot do this easily because /usr exists on the cdrom with lots of files. I also tried creating a /home/bin and put a few scripts in it, but next reboot they had disappeared even though I used the Knoppix/save function to a floppy. However files in /etc are saved and restored ok.

I'm using a floppy to save the configuration info now but later will use a Thumb drive. I don't want to use persistant home because it appears you have to copy the entire Knoppix cdrom to it. I just want to be able to use the Knoppix cdrom anythere and have a small floppy or Thumb to have my customized files there.

Thanks, Pelican

RockMumbles
02-05-2004, 07:21 PM
Note: I haven't used a new knoppix version, I'm using a 3.2? version from last summer, my persistent home does not include the whole knoppix image.

I use a saved config file and persistent home on our school computers, I boot to the cdrom with my zip disk in place and the lab printer is configured and my screen resolution etc. is as I want and my files are in my home.

Note at least on the versions I have used, kde configs are not saved as they should be but I've learned to live with that minor problem.

HTH

~rock

pelican
02-05-2004, 11:17 PM
Hello RockMumbles.

I read and copied into a file your previous thread around mid 2003 about using persistant home. Unfortunately, I lost the thread subject. Do you remember it?

Looks like I'll to bone up on persistant homing. I've found the FAQ but haven't yet what exactly goes in the home. Also, although I have managed to create a new user, Knoppix would not assign a home directory to it.

I have a 64 meg thumb drive that I want to both Save Knoppix Configuration and have a persistant home.

In the meantime, I've found a work-around for my personal bin files. Since Save Knoppix Configuration saves all of /etc, I created a new /etc/bin directory that gets saved and restored each time. Not exactly the usual place for a /bin but what the hey, it works. ;-)

Thanks, Pelican

arkaine23
02-05-2004, 11:36 PM
Make a persistent home as described. All the contents of /home/knoppix go into it and will be used at boot and automatically rsynced to the /home/knoppix in ramdisk so long as you use the knoppix home=scan cheatcode. This includes KDE configs...

This will add your scripts directory to your $PATH variable so your script will be useable as if they were system commands for the user knoppix.

PATH=$PATH:/home/knoppix/mybin