PDA

View Full Version : How to save mount points?

pelican
02-05-2004, 07:05 PM
Using Knoppix 3.3 booted from the cdrom I cannot save mount points
that I have created.

Example: /mnt/wanda
It disappears after reboot.

How can I save these.

windos_no_thanks
02-05-2004, 09:04 PM
Considering the medium you are booting from is read-only what did you expect ? :-)

pelican
02-05-2004, 11:08 PM
The cdrom medium has nothing to do with it.
The entire /etc is copied to ram and is saved when you save settings.
The entire /mnt is also in ram, copied over on boot and loaded with
the mounts. It should be saved along with /etc to eliminate having to create the user's mount point each boot.

LA

Cuddles
02-06-2004, 04:13 AM
Pelican,

I take it you are using the CD, and that you are using the Persistant Save options, right?

Are you supplying the boot: cheatcodes to load these Save options?

And, is Knoppix finding them, and loading them when you watch the whole initialization on bootup of Knoppix?

Try using dmesg in a Konsole window, and near the top it should be displaying all the drive information, and later, near(er) the bottom, it should be showing the integration of the Save information... A few places to look for a possible "something" not working right.

Another idea, I take it you have modified the fstab file for your mount points, after rebooting, I take it that the fstab file does not have any of your settings retained - Knoppix on the CD always does a "auto-detect", after installing to your hard drive (through installation), this feature is then turned off, and manual detection/addition is done. While using the CD, you need to use the Persistant options, Save options, and use the boot cheatcodes to activate them.

Just some thoughts,
Cuddles

pelican
02-06-2004, 02:01 PM
Yes I am using the CD. No hard drive in box, just a thumbdrive.
I am _not_ using Persistant Save but do a
Save KNOPPIX configuration to the thumbdrive.

To load I am supplying "knoppix myconfig=scan" and I can see it's working as my bashrc loads the alias as called for in my modified /etc/profile and the /etc/bin files are all there.

From looking at /mnt/sda1/config.tbz (the thumbdrive) I see that the "Save KNOPPIX configuration" saves most or all of /etc and /home/knoppix.

Isn't this exactly the same as what Persistant Save does?
If not, what are the differences?

Is it possible to get at and modify the script used in "Save KNOPPIX configuration"?

I see a script posted by Jim (truelever?) to save _other_ homes that looks like it could easily save the mount points or add my mount points on a reboot.

Finally I see that "Save KNOPPIX configuration" saves my commented /etc/fstab just fine.

Pelican