PDA

View Full Version : Remastering problem: Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry..

Danmak
02-06-2004, 11:57 AM
Hello,

I have always folowing problem after remastering:

new image will not boot, it breaks with this errror message:

http://gdmakus.de/files/Linux.png

thx

sfit
02-06-2004, 12:24 PM
please follow the steps of remastering given on knoppix.net

Danmak
02-06-2004, 12:50 PM
Hello, I followed all instruction, but it helps not ...

thx

daja77
02-13-2004, 04:23 PM
I got almost the same error (without that part of a missing cloop module) when trying the following:

I created a cloop image based on the Knoppix 3.3 from November, then i copied the kernel and isolinux stuff from c't edition to the master directory and exectuted a mkisofs command as stated in the isolinux documentation. Any ideas why it states it can't find the knoppix filesystem. It is there, on the usual location ...

thx,

daja

rayart
02-14-2004, 02:54 PM
whit the new version 02-2004 i got the same error.

i remastered whit older versions and had no problems
does the new version use other code?

i used

mkisofs -R -U -V "KNOPPIX.net filesystem" -P "KNOPPIX www.knoppix.net" -hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes -no-bak -pad /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX | nice -5 /usr/bin/create_compressed_fs - 65536 > /mnt/hda1/knx/master/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -V "KNOPPIX" -b KNOPPIX/boot.img -c KNOPPIX/boot.cat -hide-rr-moved -o /mnt/hda1/knx/knoppix.iso /mnt/hda1/knx/master

help :cry:

windos_no_thanks
02-14-2004, 10:21 PM
Hello, I followed all instruction, but it helps not ...

thx

Are you using the latest cloop tools ?
BTW, how did you generate the screenshot ? :-)

rayart
02-15-2004, 10:03 AM
i had the same problem.

i remastered from Fedora, and something is wrong there.

so i started a knoppix cd and gave the "make knop file" and "make knop iso"
commands from there..and now it works!

are you also remastering from Fedora?

champagnemojo
02-15-2004, 10:53 AM

I was wondering that too. :lol:

maxod
02-23-2004, 03:15 PM
try:

knoppix nodma
or
knoppix26 nodma

radass
03-04-2004, 03:33 AM
[quote=Danmak]

I'd guess by using VMWare as i am :)

I have this problem too after remastering a feather linux (without the missing cloop) .. must have missed something :(

radass
03-04-2004, 06:21 AM
I've found that my problem was a corrupted cloop file

can you mount your created KNOPPIX file from the environment that you create it in ?

ie

insmod cloop file=/home/dave/master/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX
mount /dev/cloop /tmp

ls -l /tmp

gonzalu
03-07-2004, 09:19 PM
Hey,

I was getting the EXACT SAME PROBLEM :-)

I burned ISO with xcdroast under Fedora Yarrow and it would bomb just as above.

After reading this post, I decided to install K3B and burned it with that just a second ago.

All I did to the master was

REMOVE tetex base
ADD iperf

And then burned it with K3B. Just rebooted and it works like a charm... :-)) This is my very very first remaster, ever! I have gained the confidence now to tweak it to my liking.

Once thing I noticed was that my MOZILLA Icon on the taskbar changed from the red mozilla to the blue M

Cheers
Manny

cesman
03-07-2004, 11:04 PM
Where is your isolinux directory? I had this problem and the solution was to move isolinux to the root of "cdrom".

cesman

sbkryan
03-10-2004, 02:00 AM
I have remastered KNOPPIX V3.3 the 16th Feb release and it works fine.

Have you got that partition you are developing the KNOPPIX file system in a ext2 or ext3 file system?

elcuco
03-27-2004, 12:42 PM
I would like to say I have the exact proeblem.

Apparently it has to do with the original environment. My host OS is MandrakeLinux 9.2, and I am using cloop-utils-1.02-1mdk.

Which version should I use, and where do I get it from?

and...
is it possible to remaster from teh chrooted environment?
I think I can boot from theoriginal knoppix and remaster from there, but that is a really unconfortable way of working.

rrijkse
04-28-2004, 04:13 PM
I had the exact same problem.

I have a P4 2.6 Ghz with HT and 1 gig of RAM.

When I created the KNOPPIX image it gave me the error, but when I re-created the image, it worked just fine.

pau1knopp
04-28-2004, 08:17 PM
I also have the same problem, but also a work around.

I have four partitions

hda1 - 500M swap
hda2 - 700M partion for a "poor man's dual boot"
hda3 - 2G ext2 partition complete bootable linux file system (knx-hdinstall)
hda4 - 10G ext2 partition used for remastering and poor man's dualboot

Partitions hda2 through hda4 are bootable via LILO. All run essentially the same base version of KNOPPIX (Version 3.3 2-16-2004)

I use the hda2 partition as my default boot, preferring to work from a CD based workstation while saving a my configuration (config.tgz) on hda2. I have no persistent home directory.

Here's the problem. The HDA2 poor man's dualboot consistently boots great for me. And of course the fully installed linux partion (HDA3) boots as well. When I remaster on HDA4 and create my iso and burn to CD, the CD boot well. But if I copy the remastered compressed KNOPPIX filesystem to the poor man's dual boot setup on HDA4, I get the error described (filesystem could not be found, sorry, etc.) As noted, it is not the newly created filesystem, because I can burn it to a CD and it works great.

Here's the work around. I copy the newly remastered compressed KNOPPIX filesystem to the poor man's dual boot on HDA2 and it boots just fine (same as the remastered CD).

However, I like to keep HDA2 as my "known good" partition and not fool around with it. I would MUCH more prefer to boot from the development partition (HDA4) to test my remasters and leave the production environment alone.

I have learned to live with this, but I would REALLY appreciate any suggestions anyone would have regarding why this seems to only boot from the first ext2 partition available.

Thanks in advance,

~paul

redcash
05-07-2004, 01:37 AM
Hi,

i had the same problem too. But I found a solution. When you try to master the image don't forget the switch -J (Joilet Extensions) for mkisofs. This switch allows lower-case and (!) upper-case file-/directorynames. If it isn't set the directory "KNOPPIX" on cd is lower-case but it has to be upper-case.
After this my self-mastered Image is working really good.

HTH
RedCash

labrekke
05-07-2004, 09:59 AM
Can anyone tell me - as I have NO knowledge about Linux - how do I get my CD to work after the "Can't find Knoppix filesystem" appears? The computer boots from CD (wouldn't get this message otherwise). I don't want to install anything on my machine. I thought the point with the Noppix CD was to introduce Linux to people... but this doesn't seem to be working... :cry:

goyacc
05-13-2004, 05:18 AM
I have exactly same problem.

but "knoppix nodma" option is ok

CrashedAgain
05-14-2004, 04:28 AM
labrekke:
it looks like you may have a bad CD copy. Try it in another machine to check if it works.

All others who are having 'can't find fs' error on a remaster:
I had this problem, solved it by doing a 'Tohd' poor mans install then subsituting the remastered fs for the original instead of relying on copied vmlinuz & miniroot. Also using the 'fromHd cheatcode' makes an easy setup to trial boot the remaster. See my post above.

Crashed