PDA

View Full Version : Is Persistant Home the same as "Save KNOPPIX configurat

pelican
02-06-2004, 02:08 PM
I have examined the configs.tbz file and see that it contains most or all of the files in /etc and /home/knoppix, which are re-loaded on bootup using a cheat code.

From what I have read, Persistant Home seems to be pretty much the same except that the information is actually mounted from some other drive instead of saved in a file and re-loaded.

What are the other differences, if any?

Which scripts control Persistant Home and Save KNOPPIX configuration?

pelican

Cuddles
02-06-2004, 04:03 PM
Pelican,

From what I know, a Persistant Home is mounted during boot, and when things are changed on the home, they are written directly at the time of changing them. Whereas, a save config writes the information out when you select the "save config" menu item. Another thing, I think it is doing, when you run a Persistant, it isn't being thrown into RAM DISK, like a "save config" - Persistant is runnling directly from the location, whereas, "save config" is writting the information "from" the RAM DISK to the target location, again, when you select the "save" option from the menu.

Hope this helps, and I am sure, if I wasn't correct on my information, someone will be along shortly to correct me :D
Cuddles