PDA

View Full Version : Internet connection sharing with Win98 and Knoppix

Calman
02-07-2004, 01:21 AM
Can I share an internet connection with a win98 machine as the host and knoppix as the guest (client?), using a SMC network card on a dell inspiron 3700 laptop?

outerlimit
02-07-2004, 05:40 AM
Yeah, you can share an internet connection with a windows machine and Knoppix work with it. I'm currently sharing an internet connection on a win2k machine and Knoppix can easily share its internet connection. Only thing you might want to watch out for is if you are running a firewall, makeing sure that it will allow you to share an internet connection. For some reason Zone Alarm will not allow my computer to foward packets out to the internet that come from a computer on the local network., so i have to shutdown Zone Alarm to allow Knoppix to get online.

But, you should be able to get online with Knoppix through sharing on a windows machine with no problem at all.

Koopa Troopa
02-11-2004, 02:26 AM
You don't even have to turn zone alarm off on the host . Just add your client machine's IP in zone alarm's trusted zone and set internet security to medium (no more stealth, but packet filtering anyway) and your client machine should be able to get through. works for me with a Win XP Pro ICS host and a win2k/knoppix3.3 client (i don't havez ZA on the client though if that's what you were talking about)