PDA

View Full Version : sandisk cruzer mini usb flash drive

khrtt
02-07-2004, 03:47 AM
This has been discussed before (just search for Cruzer): the cruzer mini doesn't work with newer linux (such as knoppix). The simptoms range from drive not being detected to hard hangups. There is even a recipe, which, incidentally, didn't work for me. So, here's another one:

1. Unplug the cruzer mini. Boot Knoppix.

2. Get at a root prompt (e.g. CTRL-ALT-F2)

3. Do
echo /bin/true > /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug. This prevents the hotplug scripts from atempting to mount the drive once you plug it in. Do NOT do (tempting!)
/etc/init.d/hotplug stop instead, which would prevent the drive from being detected at all.

modprobe usb-storage

5. Plug it in. The light should come on. If it doesn't, pull the drive out and plug it in again.

mkdir /mnt/sandisk

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sandisk

7. Enjoy!!

umount /dev/sda1
Unplug the drive

Now, this works every time. I wish I could figure out what it is that the hotplug scripts do differently than I do that makes it hang hard. I notice that just before hang-up
ps lax shows a
dd if=/dev/sda count=1... in addition to the mount, as if the script were trying to read the partition table off the drive. Could that be it?

AZ
02-18-2004, 02:49 AM
Even simplier than that.
1: Boot Knoppix without Sandisk Crizer

2: become root Ctrl-Alt-F2

3: echo /sbin/hotplug > /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug

4: mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/test
On some machines:
mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/test

The real culprit is /sbin/hotplug-knoppix which does something that causes a system to lock-up hard way.
The original /sbin/hotlug (also included in KNOPPIX) works fine.

AZ