PDA

View Full Version : knoppix and new computer

markleong
02-07-2004, 08:25 AM
I was trying to install KNOPPIX on a completely new computer by booting off the CD. The harddisks were not formatted or partitioned. I was hoping to boot into KNOPPIX and use fdisk to partition the hd. However KNOPPIX (3.3-2003-09-24) seems to stop when detecting the hds and trying to create the fstab entry.

What I did was to boot from a dos diskette and partition the hds. After that everything was ok.

Does that mean that KNOPPIX can only run if the hds are partitioned? Or is this because I must wait longer? Or is it because I am not using the lastest KNOPPIX?

I was hoping to do everything from one CD.

windos_no_thanks
02-07-2004, 05:55 PM
I've booted Knoppix on a machine with a blank HD, it does work. Not sure if I've tried it with that particular version but at least with 3.3-2003-11-19.

Cuddles
02-07-2004, 06:09 PM
Windos_No_Thanks,

Stupid question here, but, how do you get the DATE version, that both of you are speaking of???

True, someone else d/l'ed my v3.3, and burned the ISO image for me, is that where you get the date version you both are using? (from the ISO file itself?) Or can you get this date version from a command in Knoppix?

All I knew about was the uname part, i.e. I have:

Knoppix v3.3 v2.4.22-xfs

Thanks for any enlightenment,
Cuddles

windos_no_thanks
02-07-2004, 06:36 PM
Windos_No_Thanks,

Stupid question here, but, how do you get the DATE version, that both of you are speaking of???

True, someone else d/l'ed my v3.3, and burned the ISO image for me, is that where you get the date version you both are using? (from the ISO file itself?) Or can you get this date version from a command in Knoppix?

All I knew about was the uname part, i.e. I have:

Knoppix v3.3 v2.4.22-xfs

Thanks for any enlightenment,
Cuddles
IIRC the text on the boot screen tells you exactly which version it is when booting from CD, I'm not sure if/where it can be found on a HD install though.

Cuddles
02-07-2004, 08:28 PM
Hmmmmm, oh well...

To add (quality) to the thread...

I installed Knoppix 3.3 - the one I mentioned above (previous), from just the CD - completely new hard drive - not even a partition table on the drive - who knows why it didn't work for you though.

This was on my new system, only one hard drive, and no previous OS was on it.

Cuddles

markleong
02-08-2004, 02:36 AM
Could it be that I am not patient enough to wait for the detection process to finish? I waited for about 3 mins.

Or is it because its a SATA harddisk?

Cuddles
02-08-2004, 10:10 AM
Hmmmmmm,

Just for my knowledge, what is a SATA hard disk?

I am familiar with IDE, and SCSI, I know "of" Flash, and USB, but I have never heard of this one. I have been out of the "main-stream" computer technology for about two years, being in a small town now, things are less visible here...

Thanks for the enlightenment,
Cuddles

nmcphillips
02-08-2004, 02:35 PM
I think he is refering to Serial ATA. More information is available at http://www.serialata.org/. Which probably explains why markleong is having difficulties.

markleong
02-08-2004, 03:14 PM
Are you saying that KNOPPIX will have problems with SATA harddisks? Or it only my version of KNOPPIX?

nmcphillips
02-08-2004, 06:30 PM
I do not know if Knoppix works with SATA harddrives, perhaps someone else knows.

Markus
02-08-2004, 06:37 PM
You could check the BIOS and see if you can put SATA into compatible or legacy mode.
This would limit the number of drives, but don't ask to what :D

AFAIK the 2.6 kernel version of knoppix will understand SATA disks, but you'll have to wait a while for it.
Until march?

windos_no_thanks
02-08-2004, 06:39 PM
Are you saying that KNOPPIX will have problems with SATA harddisks? Or it only my version of KNOPPIX?
Lots of people seem to have trouble with SATA disks, not sure if it works any better with new versions of Knoppix or any other Linux distro. As usual the hardware vendors have managed to produce stuff that doesn't meet the specs (see http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/1787 for instance) Hopefully anyone who has been successful will speak up.