PDA

View Full Version : Cant get Kppp to work in Knoppix

efi360
02-07-2004, 08:16 PM
I Downloaded and installed approriet driver for my lucent winmodem wich Kpakager said installed ok, But after configuring kppp it keeps telling me cant open the modem. I have modem position set at dev/ modem in device tab not the dev/ttsy 1,2,3 etc... poition This is same setup wich worked just great in SuSe 8.1, Mandrake 9.0 & 9.2 . Maybe something wrong with that driver I cheked my kernal version using uname-r in console wich gave version 2.4.22 anybody had similar problem ,fixes or suggestions Help is apprecieted By the way using Knoppix 3.3 installed on hard drive with about 7gigs of space. same computer That i tried oter distros mentioned that worked fine

ec
02-13-2004, 01:26 PM
dev/modem works for me when using cdrom version, but installed I had to set it to ttyS0 on my system. Just fyi. I don't have internal, but it sounds like maybe you should try all the possibilities, and do a 'query modem' to see if one works.

Hope this helps. :?: :idea:

efi360
02-14-2004, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the reply ec. I already tried all of the setting and quarryied them all none of them worked. what I am starting to understand is that the linmodem drivers I am using although they are the appropriet ones for my kernal Version they were not compiled with the appropriet compiler knoppix ,mepis and libranet use gcc3 compiler and the drivers I am using were compiled wiyh gcc2. I read this in the installer when it was trying to install in mepis the font was large and clear,and it gave this errror message wich i couln not read in knoppix. knoppix installer uses a weird font that is small and hard to read and i could not make out all the text output that displays when modules install. anyway I think this is the problem, maybe not Its hard being a newb to linux but I think it's verry cool and worth the effort to figure it out. I must admitt it is alot easyer to install drivers in windows at least for me that is. I know linux is getting better in that direction . I just wish it were now.