PDA

View Full Version : Monitor problems

Daedaleus
02-08-2004, 06:16 AM
I have knoppix installed on my hard drive but I'm running an old leading edge monitor, I can't seem to get the display to work well enough to be visable except when running in failsafe mode from the cd. So everytime i boot I end up exiting out to the command prompt and I'm not sure how to get back into the gui much less get the gui to be visable...

Any suggestions?

rickenbacherus
02-08-2004, 07:04 AM
You could try booting Knoppix and copying the X window configuration file to your hdd install. If you installed Knoppix to /dev/hda1 then like so:

boot: knoppix failsafe
sudo mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
sudo mv /mnt/hda1/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /mnt/hda1/etc/X11/XF86Config-4.orig
sudo cp /etc/X11/XF86Confifg-4 /mnt/hda1/etc/X11/
reboot.

Do NOT use the desktop icons to mount your partition. Do it by hand.

Daedaleus
02-09-2004, 12:59 AM
Tried your commands but when I go to input the 2nd command it gives me a error saying that there is no arument or something, tried typing it in exactly but I can't figure it out.

Also I saved the knoppix configuration to floppy, but I don't know how to get it from the floppy to the hard drive from the command line... I thought I knew but it doesn't seem to work.

Thanx again, but I"m unfortunately still hitting a brick wall.

Loper
02-09-2004, 06:23 AM
I have knoppix installed on my hard drive but I'm running an old leading edge monitor, I can't seem to get the display to work well enough to be visable except when running in failsafe mode from the cd. So everytime i boot I end up exiting out to the command prompt and I'm not sure how to get back into the gui much less get the gui to be visable...
Try this... when you boot into the either the CD or HD install, try this keypress combo: [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[-] (all at once). This will step through the resolutions available, the lowest of which is 640x480. you should be able to go into the Control Panel and set the one that works best.

Have you tried the resolution cheat codes for the CD to set up 640x480?

Daedaleus
02-10-2004, 06:24 AM
I've tried all that and then some, nothing works, I'm begining to think it's just the monitor, it is a rather old vga monitor. It run on a 30 htz refresh cycle instead of 60 so I believe it's part of the problem.

So I've simply installed red-hat 9 and I'm going to try and re-install knoppix back into a seperate partiition to ry and finish getting worked out after I can get another monitor.

Stephen
02-10-2004, 03:44 PM
I've tried all that and then some, nothing works, I'm begining to think it's just the monitor, it is a rather old vga monitor. It run on a 30 htz refresh cycle instead of 60 so I believe it's part of the problem.

So I've simply installed red-hat 9 and I'm going to try and re-install knoppix back into a seperate partiition to ry and finish getting worked out after I can get another monitor.

You need a svga capable monitor and card to be able to use Knoppix from CD. You could install from the failsafe boot at a console login and then when you reboot and the X server fails then use CTRL and ATL and F1 keys at the same time to get a console login then login as regular user and use su to become root then dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 and choose suitable settings for the monitor and video card once completed /etc/init.d/kdm restart to restart the xserver and get a new KDE greeter screen.