PDA

View Full Version : Newbie: VNC in Knoppix 3.3

Jim Hart
02-08-2004, 09:25 PM
I'm new to Linux, but very interested. After several false starts, I've finally gotten Knoppix V3.3 running on on my hard drive. Eveything seems to work well, and all hardware is detected. I guess I've been incredibly lucky so far, since I know very little about actually Using a Linux system.

I'd like to use VNC to access this machine remotely as I do with a Windows 2000 machine in the basement which houses my satellite DirecPC receiver.

I searched the Linux partition using KDE's find files application and it turned up several instances of files named Xvnc or similar. Does this mean that VNC is configured on this machine? If so, how do I start it?

If not, can someone give me a step-by-step on installing it (like where to put it and how to set it up and start it)? I did manage to get the realvnc package downloaded to the knoppix home directory, but I don't really know how to proceed from there.

Thanks,
JCH

eadz
02-08-2004, 11:18 PM
in a konsole, type
vncviewer ip.address ( where ip address is the ip or hostname of the server you want to connect to )

Knoppix also has windows remote desktop viewer :
run
rdesktop server.ip.address.or.hostname

for both these commands,
run them with --help
e.g. rdesktop --help

to get the full list of options.

Jim Hart
02-09-2004, 01:35 AM
Thank you very much for your helpful reply. Obviously it is in there. And I can get it to work - sort of.

I can run vncviewer in listen mode on the Linux box and connect to it with one of the windows boxes and, after enabling desktop sharing in Knoppix, I can connect to it with vncviewer from one of the windows boxes. I can't, however, connect to either of the windows boxes from the Linux box with vncviewer. The windows machines both log in as administrator with no password and they can deal with other just fine on the (TCP/IP) network. I suspect it's a permission problem, but I can't figure it out.

Thanks again,
JCH