PDA

View Full Version : A Whine about Wine

Juggerboo
02-09-2004, 12:14 AM
I love Knoppix. It's my first Linux OS and i'm obsessed. However i'm such a noobie & i need some help.
I need to uninstall the Wine program that comes with 2004-11-14. Can i do it with just K Package? Or is there some scripting in shell or konsole that i need to do.
If anyone wants to reply to this PLEASE dumb it down a shade, ie. Use baby talk! I realise most of you are very gifted when it comes to this software.

Thanks.

champagnemojo
02-09-2004, 12:24 AM
Kano's script page (http://kano.mipooh.net/) has a script for removing Wine. I've never done it myself, but I imagine that would be the easiest way to remove it.

Stephen
02-09-2004, 12:56 AM
I love Knoppix. It's my first Linux OS and i'm obsessed. However i'm such a noobie & i need some help.
I need to uninstall the Wine program that comes with 2004-11-14. Can i do it with just K Package? Or is there some scripting in shell or konsole that i need to do.
If anyone wants to reply to this PLEASE dumb it down a shade, ie. Use baby talk! I realise most of you are very gifted when it comes to this software.

Thanks.

Open a console window (clam shell icon on the taskbar) type in su then enter key type in the root password when asked and enter key again then apt-get --purge remove wine wine-utils winesetuptk and enter key once more and answer y and enter key to remove and purge the configuration files.

Juggerboo
02-10-2004, 11:36 PM
Thanx for the help!
I was able to uninstall with stephens script, it worked great. Kanos' page looks very helpful too. I wish there were more pages like Kanos'. Well now i'm installing a different version of Wine, so stay tuned, i'll probally be crying for help again!

Again, thanx for the help!

Juggerboo
02-11-2004, 03:43 AM
So i have blundered my way through the installation of Wine-20031016, extracted it, and done the install. But i don't know how to use it. I've sifted through the forums and tried this and that, but no go. I can't even get notepad to work.
Once again i beseech you fabulous people in the know. I guess i should also ask if there is a course that could be recomended to make me a competent user of Knoppix. So.....is there a course that could help me become a competent user of Knoppix?

mightydavefish
02-11-2004, 05:11 AM
No course you can take for linux, just painful sweat-of-your-brow old school learnin'. (That's not true, stuff like "linux for dummies" will help in the beginning). It's going to take a while to get the basics of administrating your own system. The great thing about knoppix is you can screw up over and over and over and just reboot or reinstall.

As far as wine goes, winehq.com is the site for the wine project. They have lots and lots and lots of docs over there. It usually works like this:
Type in
wine program-you-want-to-run
If the program is in your current directory you may have a running windows program. You can also try installing software using wine, tho I myself have never actually had that work for me. Using standard wine I usually install the programs I want on a win98 partition and then mount that partition under linux and run the app from there. For example:
I have a win98 partition with Internet Exploiter installed. I have it mounted at /mnt/win98. I could run it with:
wine /mnt/win98/Program Files/Internet Explorer/iexplore.exe

And it runs. Some things don't run as easily and require modifying your config file to run them properly. For example:
I play Total Annihilation on linux. I took the whole game directory from a windows install and stored it at /home/david/cavedog. Now to play Total Annihilation I type:
wine /home/david/cavedog/totala/Totala.exe
And away it goes! Yeehaw!

Don't be upset when things don't work. Wine is a wild and mysterious beast that no man may tame, so don't expect too much.
Here's my 2 cents:
For games (unless it's a really really old game), you can't beat transgaming.com's WineX, which is a fork of the wine project by a small company that devoted it's efforts to make wine work better with windows games. It costs like 5$ to join up and download winex packages. Works very well for everything I have tried it with. All the games I tried installed (Homeworld, Total Annihilation, Starcraft, Black & White, Tribes2) installed properly. The 3D graphics intensive games were too slow on my old laptop (no hardware acceleration), but the others worked fine. Oh yeah, Diable2 runs great also.
For apps I am in awe of Crossover Office (from codeweavers.com, I think). It installed Internet Exploiter (I need it to get to my bank account) from the microsoft web site just like windows. It installed Office 2000, Lotus Notes, Kazaa, etc just like windows. I have now reached the point where I ASSUME that my app will install on Crossover Office. It costs money (like $50, keep an eye out for lower offers on the internet), but is the best money I have ever spent on linux software.

What you can do to save time and effort is check the app database at winehq.com and see if the app you want to run is in there and what kind of success people have had running it. You can also check frankscorner.org for info on many apps and games.

Good luck!

P.S. Be wary of uninstalling software with scripts rather than using the package manager. Install aptitude "apt-get install aptitude" to get a curses based package manager. Use that from now on to add and remove packages. Manually removing things makes for trouble later on, unless you know what you are doing. I guess you could install synaptic instead of aptitude if you want to, but I'm not a fan of it.

Juggerboo
02-11-2004, 01:08 PM
I re-installed knoppix cause the version of wine installed i couldn,t get to work at all. Using wine that comes with knoppix i get a couple of results at least. Either nothing after that little loading box, or a failure value. I tried alot of different programs, iexplorer, outlook express and some tunneling software i use for my xbox.

What does that failure value mean?

I went to debian.org after this and checked out the docs thay have there and decided to do the apt-get wine setuptk. But i got a message saying

Couldn't stat source package list http://www.penguinppc.org ./ Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/www.penguinppc.org_%7edaniels_sid_i386_._Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems

so i ran apt-get update and got pretty much the same message. And then something similar when i tried to get APTITUDE.

I know it's a pain, but could someone hold may through this?

Ready to learn and to subject myself to torture.

Stephen
02-11-2004, 05:03 PM
What does that failure value mean?

Couldn't stat source package list http://www.penguinppc.org ./ Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/www.penguinppc.org_%7edaniels_sid_i386_._Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems

You need to edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list as root and put a # character in front of the line that causes the error.

## XFree 4.2/4.3
#deb http://people.debian.org/~branden/packages sid/i386/
#deb-src http://people.debian.org/~branden/packages sid/source/
#deb http://www.penguinppc.org/~daniels/sid/i386 ./
#deb-src http://www.penguinppc.org/~daniels/sid/source ./

Juggerboo
02-11-2004, 11:20 PM
Way to go stephen, tinkering with that file got rid of those pesky messages. Are you a God?

So i ran aptitude as well as update and that was all funky, but how do i access this aptitude program. I ran the app finder and came up zip. I also searched the program lists and found zip.

The program i'm trying to run in wine keeps failing with a status of 2 as well.