PDA

View Full Version : Can not get to a graphical UI after boot

Tiggs
02-09-2004, 02:45 AM
I wanted to join the Linux bandwagon and figured I should start out with something that has the least configureation as possible. I found Knoppix. A Compaq Presario and 700mb ISO later, I was on my way to installing my first Linux OS. I followed this really detailed guide (http://articles.linmagau.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=181&page=1)
and got up to step 7, where I installed everything, and can login in to root. Its great and all, but I really would like to see a Graphical UI. Saddly, this isn't the case, because nothing I type in gets me anywhere, and according to the walk through mentioned above, Knoppix starts a GUI automatically. I can't figure for the life of me how to get in.

Any help would be apprecieated, thanks.

sn0wflake
02-09-2004, 03:26 AM
What do you type and what error messages do you see?

Tiggs
02-09-2004, 03:35 AM
Thats the thing, I'm really not sure what to type. I've done some Googling in the mean time and tried:

kdm - Screen flashes for a few seconds and returns back to the command prompt.
startkde - I get a bunch of KDwhatevers and then "Kpersonalizer: cannot connect to X server".
startx - Fatal server error: no screens found, a blank screen, then "X10: fatal IO x10 error, 104 (Connection reset by peer)

I just want to get into the same thing I could using the Knoppix boot cd.

sn0wflake
02-09-2004, 04:45 AM
Can you boot Knoppix from CD? If so, and KDE works, try saving /etc/X11/X11Config to a removable media, like a floppy. Then boot Knoppix from harddisk and overwrite the "bad" X11Config file. This trick worked very well for me while Ghosting severeal PC's.

Tiggs
02-09-2004, 05:12 AM
Can you boot Knoppix from CD? If so, and KDE works, try saving /etc/X11/X11Config to a removable media, like a floppy. Then boot Knoppix from harddisk and overwrite the "bad" X11Config file. This trick worked very well for me while Ghosting severeal PC's.

I'm pretty sure I'm browsing the CD, but I cant seem to find X11Config. The closest thing in /ect/X11 is something called XF86Config. Should I use that? And, if it I do use that, how do I copy something from one place to another from a floppy using the command line?

Stephen
02-09-2004, 07:40 AM
Thats the thing, I'm really not sure what to type. I've done some Googling in the mean time and tried:

kdm - Screen flashes for a few seconds and returns back to the command prompt.
startkde - I get a bunch of KDwhatevers and then "Kpersonalizer: cannot connect to X server".
startx - Fatal server error: no screens found, a blank screen, then "X10: fatal IO x10 error, 104 (Connection reset by peer)

I just want to get into the same thing I could using the Knoppix boot cd.

Try at the kdm screen selecting kde3 from the session menu instead of the default that is preselected.

sn0wflake
02-09-2004, 08:26 AM
My bad :shock: /etc/X11/XF86Config is the correct file. BTW, do you know what graphics card you have?

Stephen
02-09-2004, 09:37 AM
My bad :shock: /etc/X11/XF86Config is the correct file. BTW, do you know what graphics card you have?

No it is not the correct file is /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 when using Xfree86 4.? on Debian/Knoppix.

gowator
02-10-2004, 12:23 PM
This stands a 50% chance of working in about 5 mins so its worth a go.

1) At the terminal as root
ps -ef ¦grep kdm
find the pid and then
kill -9 <PID>

You need to kill this becuase it is respawning X and it won't let you start another...

then, still as root type
XFree86 -configure (it could be --configure)
This creates a file in /root called xf86config.new (or similar, it will actually tell you)
then type
startx - (or --) xf86config=/root/xf86config.new

If this works ....
CTRL+ALT+BKSPC and stop X
then
cp /etc/X11/XF86config /etc/X11/XF86config.orig
cp /etc/X11/XF86config-4 /etc/X11/XF86config-4.orig
cp /root/xf86config.new /etc/X11/XF86config

then type
/etc/init.d/kdm start
(you might need to look for the actual file, its something like kdm)
and theres a space before the start.

Stephen
02-10-2004, 04:12 PM
XFree86 -configure (it could be --configure)

cd /root
X --configure

gowator
02-10-2004, 05:01 PM
I can never remember if its -- or just - !!!!

Stephen
02-10-2004, 05:10 PM
I can never remember if its -- or just - !!!!

Real easy to do if it was just a single letter to configure say c you would use -c if it is the whole word --configure.

zanoman
02-19-2004, 04:48 PM
Finally I worked it out with your help !
I couldn't understand why a basic Inspiron 1100 DELL laptop couldn't use Knoppix.

I'm not a linux master, but I add my install and setting process :

Knoppix boots but in 640x480. The screen doesn't extrapolate pixels so the screen shrink

Like many others, I turned to 1024x768 in config and reboot, just to test ! :roll:
No more KDM (GUI) at startup :shock:
"kdm" (to launch GUI) tries to launch and get back to terminal
"startx" the same

I've tried :
"X -configure" (beware X --configure does something else)
it creates a xf86config.new in the root folder and tells you that you can test the server with :
XFree86 -xconfig /root/XF86Config.new

I tested and get a full screen X screen (just the gray matrix startup screen with the X mouse icon). I was surprised it was a full screen.

Now, to finish :
with "mc" (midnight commander : very very usefull) I deleted XF86Config-4, XF86Config-4.in, XF86Config, XF86Config-4.backup, XF86Config-4.new in /etc/X11 (I tried to keep some but it didn't worked), copied XF86Config.new from /root to /etc/X11 and renamed it to XF86Config-4 and launched "kdm"

And it works !! Full screen !! 1024x768.
But in 256 colors for the moment (but I don't care, I need space and speed not fancy colors)

Yahoooooooo (2)

Further tests appreciated from others now !!! (more colors ?)

Stephen
02-20-2004, 12:38 AM
I've tried :
"X -configure" (beware X --configure does something else)
it creates a xf86config.new in the root folder and tells you that you can test the server with :
XFree86 -xconfig /root/XF86Config.new

I tested and get a full screen X screen (just the gray matrix startup screen with the X mouse icon). I was surprised it was a full screen.

It figures another exception to the rule and that is what it is supposed to do that tells you X is working and you have a good base file to start from.

And it works !! Full screen !! 1024x768.
But in 256 colors for the moment (but I don't care, I need space and speed not fancy colors)

Yahoooooooo (2)

Further tests appreciated from others now !!! (more colors ?)

The colours you get are dependant on the DefaultDepth setting in the XF86Config-4 file that you have the resolutions set in that section and the amount of ram for video that is available for use an example of the section.

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
# SubSection "Display"
# Depth 1
# EndSubSection
# SubSection "Display"
# Depth 4
# EndSubSection
# SubSection "Display"
# Depth 8
# EndSubSection
# SubSection "Display"
# Depth 15
# EndSubSection
# SubSection "Display"
# Depth 16
# EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection

As you can see in this section from my file I only care to have a DefaultDepth 24 bit true colour at resolutions in the Modes line in SubSection for the Depth 24. All you really would have to do in my example if you wanted 16 bit colour is change the Depth to 16 and DefaultDepth to the same and restart the X server to get that at all resolution I have set you need to do similar with your section. To restart the X server at the command line as root /etc/init.d/kdm restart from the KDE greeter screen (login) choose Restart X server from the Menu option or ATL and X keys at the same time IIRC.

deadpan_burke
02-20-2004, 03:39 AM
I'm a moron, but have you tried typing startx after you log in? I have GUI autolaunch turned off.

zanoman
02-20-2004, 10:26 AM
As written in my mail startx and kdm tested. Does the same (screen blinking), then when fixed, just tried kdm

zanoman
02-21-2004, 11:08 AM
I tried DefaultDepth 16 but it doesn't work for me, it turns to 640x480.
May be video memory is not fully recognized (and skrink back to use minimum memory), but I have 1024x768 24 bits on XP. :roll:

Stephen
02-21-2004, 09:50 PM
I tried DefaultDepth 16 but it doesn't work for me, it turns to 640x480.
May be video memory is not fully recognized (and skrink back to use minimum memory), but I have 1024x768 24 bits on XP. :roll:

Can we see the file you are using and you may want to check in the /var/log/XFree86.0.log and check for any (WW) & (EE) lines when you try to start with the 16 bit to see what the X server is doing you may want to post these lines as well.