PDA

View Full Version : Cannot detect sda1

altalingua
02-09-2004, 08:31 AM
Hi,

I am new to linux. I just installed Knoppix on to my laptop, and I'm having a problem: when I plug in an external flash hard drive, it is not detected under Hard Disk Partition (sda1).

When I run Knoppix via the boot-cd, everything works fine.

Any ideas on what is going wrong?

Thanks! :)

gowator
02-10-2004, 12:11 PM
By not detected do you mean the device file /dev/sda1 is not created or you don't have an icon for it.

From a cli (console or whatever)
ls -l /dev/sda*
what does it say ????

fingers99
02-10-2004, 03:31 PM
take a look in /etc/fstab.

Chances are that there will be a hash in front of the line for sda1.

as root

remove the #

run

mount -a

and all should be fine.

mcaycedo
02-10-2004, 08:19 PM
I have the same problem. I have used this USB drives:

- USB 1.0 Flash disk 64 Mb
- USB 2.0 Flash disk 128 mb
- USB 1.0 IDE enclosure
- USB 2.0 IDE enclosure

The USB 1.0 Flash disk 64 Mb and USB 2.0 IDE enclosure works fine with the LiveCD, but don't get recognized in the HD Installed Version. The oher two drives I wasn't unable to get working in any circumstance. I try to mount using the command line to no result

Markus
02-10-2004, 08:39 PM
Add this line to /etc/fstab for usb support:
none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0

For my thumbdrive I have in fstab:
/dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=markus,gid=markus 0 0
You can change vfat to auto, and markus to your login, or just remove uid and gid if you don't want to get ownership for new files:
/dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 auto noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0

And as root do:
mkdir /mnt/sda1

For more than one device do: dmesg |grep sda
or: cat /var/log/syslog |grep sda
and add the devices to fstab and mountpoins to /mnt/

joe_bfstplk
02-13-2004, 05:19 AM
You can change vfat to auto, and markus to your login, or just remove uid and gid if you don't want to get ownership for new files:
/dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 auto noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0

Hi Markus--
I found this thread and tried using 'mount /dev/sda1' to mount my USB thumb drive after Knoppix was already up and running, and it states that sda1 is not a valid block device. My guess is that when it's not detected at boot, the block device is not created. Maybe this is a clue to how to get it to hot-plug after boot.... What program or script detects USB drive and creates sda1 as a block device so that fstab can be used to mount it? With that piece of information, the solution to hot-plugging USB thumb drives seems like it may be close at hand....

Thanks!

C ya,
Dutch

Markus
02-13-2004, 09:35 AM
I found this thread and tried using 'mount /dev/sda1' to mount my USB thumb drive
You could try mounting with "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1" or "mount /mnt/sda1" to give it a mountpoint.

What program or script detects USB drive and creates sda1 as a block device so that fstab can be used to mount it?

Sorry, don't know the script. I get it hotplugged and didn't do much anything for it.

When I do lsmod without plugging the thumbdrive in i get a.o.t. usb-uhci and usbcore.
But when I plug it in I also get usb-storage.
You could try "modprobe usb-storage" and plug it in or vice versa, but try mounting with the mountpoint first.

joe_bfstplk
02-14-2004, 12:41 AM
You could try mounting with "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1" or "mount /mnt/sda1" to give it a mountpoint.

Markus--
I tried it, but unfortunately it still claims sda1 is not a valid block device.

When I do lsmod without plugging the thumbdrive in i get a.o.t. usb-uhci and usbcore.
But when I plug it in I also get usb-storage.
You could try "modprobe usb-storage" and plug it in or vice versa, but try mounting with the mountpoint first.

Modprobe runs with no error, but it still doesn't mount as sda1 is still not a valid block device. I guess that figuring out how to make sda1 a valid block device after booting is the key. Thanks for your help!

C ya,
Dutch

champagnemojo
02-14-2004, 03:36 AM
Have you tried "mount /dev/sda to whatever"? I.e. leaving off the 1.

joe_bfstplk
02-14-2004, 04:10 AM

Champagnemojo--
I'll try that and see what happens....

Thanks!

C ya,
Dutch

joe_bfstplk
02-14-2004, 04:16 AM

Just tried it, and it states sda is not a valid block device. Any idea on what is run during bootup to make the USB drive show up as block device sda1?

Thanks!

C ya,
Dutch

Markus
02-14-2004, 10:10 PM
Still more mounts to try :) :
mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
mount -t msdos /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1

You could also try to do:
/etc/init.d/hotplug restart
after plugging it in.

Come to think of it, hotplug working for me might have something to do with the 2.4.24-xfs-fe-dm1-smp kernel I'm using from:
http://kano.mipooh.net/kernel/

joe_bfstplk
02-15-2004, 08:21 PM
Still more mounts to try :) :
mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
mount -t msdos /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1

You could also try to do:
/etc/init.d/hotplug restart
after plugging it in.

Come to think of it, hotplug working for me might have something to do with the 2.4.24-xfs-fe-dm1-smp kernel I'm using from:
http://kano.mipooh.net/kernel/

Markus,
I'll try these and see.... Thanks!

C ya,
Dutch

Kentaur
02-15-2004, 09:39 PM
[quote=champagnemojo]Have you tried "mount /dev/sda to whatever"? I.e. leaving off the 1.

Hi

I've got a 128 mb flash card, but when I try to take a back up of the contents, the copy in progress window just starts counting the number of files and directories. This takes forever and after letting it count this way for about half an hour I abort the process, since something is obviously wrong. I can't use half an hour every time I want to take a backup of my cf card... Any one got any clues as to what might be wromg?

-Kentaur.-