PDA

View Full Version : No Linux Network

Stewart Baker
02-09-2004, 11:38 AM
Hi,

I have a small network set up and running under Win98SE. This includes an ADSL Modem/Router. I am trying to get this network to work with Knoppix V3.3 live-cd, but have no sucess so far.
My NIC is a Netgear FA331 and the settings are:-

Ip for eth0 10.9.16.3
Netmask 255.255.255.0
Broadcast 10.9.16.255
Default Gateway 10.9.16.1
Name Server 195.112.4.4

Other computers on the network are 10.9.16.2, 10.9.16.4 and 10.9.16.5.

The values for the NIC were manually entered and checked. I cannot access the Internet. I can Ping the card, but any other address does not reply. I see activity from the NIC indicated by an LED flashing on a hub nearby. If I try a Ping from another computer I can observe packets being received by a monitor program (can't remember which one).

I have looked through this Forum, and through the FAQ's, but nothing obvious has surfaced.

I would appreciate assistance in solving this problem, as I really like what I see of Knoppix Linux and wish to explore further.

T.I.A

Stewart

Harry Kuhman
02-10-2004, 04:51 AM
... If I try a Ping from another computer I can observe packets being received by a monitor program ...

I can't know what the problem is from only the information you posted, but the fact that you say you can see traffic going out but your card never seems to receive packets makes it sound to me like the problem I saw in these two threads:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2164 and
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2117

My syptoms were the same, I could see the packets going out (with ethereal on a hub) but the NIC never saw any packets come back in. I only saw this with WinXP but a few others have reported it after some Win98 "upgrades".

Stewart Baker
02-10-2004, 10:50 AM
Hi Harry,

Thanks for your mail. I waded through both threads, boy there is some grief there !

I tried booting as Expert answering n to the questions, and using sudo mii-tool -r, both worked fine. I can now access the Internet and Ping the other machines.

I want to continue to run from the CD, both would like to know how to make the NIC settings permanent.

I suppose I could read the manual, but a quick "Heads Up" would be most welcome.

Many thanks

Stewart

Harry Kuhman
02-10-2004, 07:10 PM
I want to continue to run from the CD, both would like to know how to make the NIC settings permanent.
If you find a good fix, post back and let me know. You might be able to do something with a persistant home directory, but you need to use boot options to find that, Knoppix will not boot up and find a persistant home directory by default. So unless you plan on remastering Knoppix I don't know of any way to give yourself a clean hands-off boot with that hardware.

Since you at least have the problem with a desktop system rather than a notebook like I have, you might look at swapping out your NIC. If you do, put the Knoppix CD in the drive before you shut down the system so that you boot up right into Knoppix before you ever run Windows. While there certainly might be other issues (like your system BIOS), I really expect that a NIC swap will solve the problem. Over here NIC's are many times $5 or less, frequently free after "rebate"; hopefuly you have access to an inexpensive NIC to do this. It's likely, but far from a sure thing, that the NIC would continue to work under Knoppix even after you have run Windows, at least until you do any more updates. But I would certainly make my first boot after swapping interfaces into Knoppix to be sure. If you do this, please report back here what the results were.