PDA

View Full Version : Formatting/Partitioning HDD

Ritchie
02-09-2004, 12:08 PM
Hi, I hope someone can help please, I have looked for docs here but couldn;t find anything.

I have a 30gb HDD which is currently a dual boot, Win 98se and Suse 9. When I installed SUSE I let it choose the best way to partition the HDD so I have a 20gb win partition and a 10gb Suse partition. Suse loaded GRUB as the bootloader.

I want to wipe this drive clean and use it for my Knoppix HDD install. However I can't seem to get the partitions to delete using qtparted. The data has gone but there still seems to be linux partitions on the disk. Any Ideas how I do this please, as I would like to start again with a bare disk?

Thanks in advance

Ritchie

baldyeti
02-09-2004, 12:55 PM
Hello; I don't understand what is happening to you and QTParted should be working, really. Now since it doesn't, try "sudo cfdisk" from a shell prompt. Or, if you're happy with the partitioning, just let knoppix re-use Suse's partition(s) - It'll reformat when installing anyway.

baldyeti
02-09-2004, 01:02 PM
Hello; I don't understand what is happening to you and QTParted should be working, really. Now since it doesn't, try "sudo cfdisk" from a shell prompt. Or, if you're happy with the partitioning, just let knoppix re-use Suse's partition(s) - It'll reformat when installing anyway.

Ritchie
02-10-2004, 10:46 AM
Baldyeti

Thanks for the reply. What is happening is that I highlight the partition I want to delete, click on delete, and it doesn;t delete, its still there!!!....

I wanted to have a bare disk with no partitions because I want to learn how to install to partitions rather than than the automated procedure.

I will try the cfdisk route

Thank you for your help

Ritchie