PDA

View Full Version : Hayes (Rockwell Chipset)winmodem not detected

ryan
02-10-2004, 05:20 AM
I think it has a rockwell chipset. Is there some type of driver I can load for this modem or am I screwed? If so, what are the the steps I need to take to load the driver? I have tried all the device settings within the kppp setup. When I try under the device setting I get the error msg "unable to opem modem or modem busy.

ryan
02-10-2004, 11:05 PM
Once I again I found a resolution to my own problem. If you are in need of a rockwell chipset winmodem driver go to http://www.linux.com/howtos/Conexant+Rockwell-modem-HOWTO/index.shtml . The instructions are easy to follow.

The previous site end up directing you to this site http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hcf/
The only thing is that after downloading the driver you have to buy the liscense key to have full functionality of the driver. it only connects at 14.4 with the free version.

MickKi
02-11-2004, 03:16 PM
Hi Ryan,

Would you mind please posting (step by step) instructions on how you managed to make it work?

I've also found the drivers but don't know how to install it :(

Regards,

Mick

ryan
02-11-2004, 11:16 PM
1. install the package with "dpkg -i hcfpcimodem_{version}_{arch}.deb", ("dpkg -i hcfusbmodem_{version}_{arch}.deb" for the USB version) if apt-get or some other tool hasn't already done it for you.

this means you need to copy the file to your root directory or somewhere whre you know you find the file. Once your in the directory of the downloaded file type dpkg -i hcfpcimodem_{version}_{arch}.deb ......This will install your driver

2. if necessary, run "hcfpciconfig" ("hcfusbconfig" for the USB version) to complete the installation, enter license information, or to change your modem's configuration.

MickKi
02-12-2004, 11:36 PM
Hmm, I had a go but it didn't go well :(

I copied the file in ./ and then run dpkg -i but this is what I got:

root@ttyp0[/]# cp /mnt/floppy/hcfpcimodem_1.00lnxt04011900full_i386.deb ./
root@ttyp0[/]# ls
KNOPPIX cdrom hcfpcimodem_1.00lnxt04011900full_i386.deb mnt ramdisk tmp
bin dev home opt root usr
boot etc lib proc sbin var
root@ttyp0[/]# dpkg -i hcf*
dpkg: unable to access dpkg status area: Read-only file system

Then I tried using an hsf driver tarball (hsflinmodem-5.03.27lnxtbeta03042700.tar.tar) in the off chance that it might work:

root@ttyp0[hsflinmodem-5.03.27lnxtbeta03042700]# make install
make[1]: Entering directory `/ramdisk/var/tmp/hsflinmodem-5.03.27lnxtbeta03042700/inf'
mkdir -m 755 -p /etc/hsf/inf
install -m 644 linux_ali_smartmc.inf linux_athens.inf linux_hsf.inf linux_hsfi.inf linux_intel_smartmc.inf linux_smarthsf.inf linux_via_smartmc.inf /etc/hsf/inf
install: writing `/etc/hsf/inf/linux_intel_smartmc.inf': No space left on device
install: writing `/etc/hsf/inf/linux_smarthsf.inf': No space left on device
install: writing `/etc/hsf/inf/linux_via_smartmc.inf': No space left on device
make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/ramdisk/var/tmp/hsflinmodem-5.03.27lnxtbeta03042700/inf'
make: *** [install] Error 2

I am probably missing the basics here, so I am grateful for any guidance :)

Regards,

Mick

ryan
02-12-2004, 11:42 PM
Your problem sounds like you are not logged in as root. How did you install knoppix to your hdd? knx-hdinstall or knoppix-installer?? Ive tried it both ways ways and I havent found a way to get root access with knoppix-installer....Try knx-hdinstall if you havent already.

ryan
02-12-2004, 11:44 PM
I am very new to this stuff as well.. I am progreesing slowly but surely.

ryan
02-12-2004, 11:51 PM
root@ttyp0[/]# dpkg -i hcf*

was this command you typed Did you try
dpkg -ihcfpcimodem_1.00lnxt04011900full_i386.deb

I guess you tried it as wild card. Im not sure how that works?

ryan
02-13-2004, 12:02 AM
See, im retarded. You were obviously logged in as root. try running the full command dpkg -i hcfpcimodem_1.00lnxt04011900full_i386.deb ....What type of modem do you have?

MickKi
02-13-2004, 08:27 AM
Thanks Ryan,

I have NOT installed Knoppix on my hard drive, but have created a permanent home.

Yes, I had to login as root, otherwise it was telling me that I didn't have the authority to save changes or sth similar.

I've got a Rckwell (connexant) HCF PCI as follows:
================================================== ===================
= RESULT OF MODEM QUERY =
NUMBER OF MODEMS FOUND = 1

MODEM #1:
PCI CONFIGURATION INFORMATION READ:
VENDOR ID : 127A
DEVICE ID : 1004
SUBVENDOR ID : 144F
SUBDEVICE ID : 1009
REVISION ID : 01

DEDUCED INFORMATION:
VENDOR NAME : ROCKWEL
DEVICE NAME : HCF DATA/FAX/REMOTE TAM
SUBVENDOR NAME : ASKEY -- HTTP://WWW.ASKEY.COM.TW
MODEM TYPE : HCF
WINXP INBUILD SUPPORT : YES

I've aslo got an external US Robotics 56K Professional Message Modem, I believe this is also a winmodem, not a proper external modem :(

I'll try again using the complete path/file name to see if that changes matters (I somehow doubt it).

Thanks for your help,

Mick