PDA

View Full Version : cant get into graphical

mystical_kakarot
02-10-2004, 05:27 AM
well i cant get into graphical mode, anyone tell me how? im as MAJOR newb... im suprized i partitioned the HDD right

BTW my moniter can only support 800x600 max.... someone help please?

rickenbacherus
02-10-2004, 06:02 AM
I take it that X windows worked OK when booted to cd? If so read on...Sometimes you just need to copy XF86Config-4 from the cd to your hdd install. It's quite easy to do:

boot knoppix like normal.
I'll assume you installed knoppix to /dev/hda2
sudo mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2
sudo mv /mnt/hda2/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /mnt/hda2/etc/X11/XF86Config-4.orig
cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /mnt/hda2/etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Do not use the desktop icons to mount your hdd. Do it by hand.
done
reboot

mystical_kakarot
02-10-2004, 06:07 AM
ok ok ok this is a stupid Q.... but booting knoppix normal is text only mode right? and when i booted from the cd i had to do a knoppix screen=800x600 to get it to even run right... so is that what all them codes mean? :oops: :oops: :oops:

i tried all them codes and i got errors.... one saying

sudo: unable to lookup dereks linux via gethostbyname ()

another

mv: cannot sta '/mnt/hda2/etc/X11/XF86Config-4' : no such file or directory

and this come up....

you have new mail in /var/mail/root

champagnemojo
02-10-2004, 07:22 AM
ok ok ok this is a stupid Q.... but booting knoppix normal is text only mode right?

No...I believe he simply means for you to boot from the cd as you normally would...using cheatcodes if necessary, but letting it load KDE and all. This way you can get the configuration from the cd-boot and copy it to your hd-install. So load from the cd however you normally would and then you'll need to enter the code that he's posted using a console (such as Konsole).

mystical_kakarot
02-10-2004, 07:49 AM
ok someone told me that kpx-hdinstall is the old way of doing it? is there a new way? can anyone point me to a tutorial???

champagnemojo
02-10-2004, 07:58 AM
ok someone told me that kpx-hdinstall is the old way of doing it? is there a new way? can anyone point me to a tutorial???

The new way is knoppix-installer. You should run it just like you do knx-hdinstall...i.e. wait for everything to fully load, press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get into the main shell and then type in knoppix-installer.

gowator
02-10-2004, 12:14 PM
cannotgethostbyname() means you don't have a hostname.
This is becuase you seem to have named it with a space.....

i.e. dereks linux

the hostname in linux is VERY IMPORTANT.... I would strongly recommend changing this and rebooting afterwards....

if you edit /etc/hostname
and also
/etc/hosts
and and an underscore or better still just use letters.

rickenbacherus
02-10-2004, 01:50 PM
ok ok ok this is a stupid Q.... but booting knoppix normal is text only mode right?

No- Knoppix should boot into a fully graphical environment. It sounds like you really need to get Knoppix working w/ your hardware first of all. Ppost some hardware detyails please. Specifically graphics card/chipset and monitor type and specifications.

BTW knoppix-installer is the newest installation script.