PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 3.3 CD

Mustang64
02-10-2004, 06:00 AM
I have an HP computer that I am trying to run the CD version of Knoppix 3.3 on. I know I have a good .iso, and a good CD because the MD5 matches and the CD runs on a Dell at work (don't tell the boss :wink: ).

Details on my confuser can be found here. http://h20015.www2.hp.com/hub_search/document.jhtml?lc=en&docName=bph05965&prodId=hppavilion22686&cc=us.

Basically it is a HP XL795
M$ ME
Pentium III, 800M, 133 FSB
256M RAM
40G HDD
CD-RW 4x, 4x, 24x,
185W PS

Problem is, When ever I try to boot from the CD, I get up to "Booting the Kernel" and then get a string of " hdb: lost interupt ". Now, just what the heck is that supposed to mean.

I've been a DOS junkie until I couldn't find any more good games... :)

Any way someone can help me get past this without taking a 12GA to my box?

Thanks in advance... :?

GMD

monkeyman
02-10-2004, 07:55 PM
You wouldn't happen to have a 5 1/4" floppy drive in that thing by any chance? You said you were a DOS junky so that seems likely. If you do, disconnect it and see if that helps.

Mustang64
02-10-2004, 09:53 PM
Thank you Monkeyman

I don't have a 5 1/4 on this computer, but I do have a "removable hard drive" (I think it is called a Zip drive).
:idea: Could the Knoppix CD installation program be seeing this as the second hard drive (hdb) and giving me the error? :shock:

What would happen if I loaded a disk/cartridge into it? Do you think it would be recognised then? :?

Thanks for the reply - I only get about one hour a day to play with this... :cry:

Thanks again... :wink:

Markus
02-10-2004, 10:04 PM
Have you tried the cheatcodes nosmp and nodma.
At the bootprompt type "knoppix nosmp" and cross your fingers :D

monkeyman
02-11-2004, 01:25 AM
Thank you Monkeyman

I don't have a 5 1/4 on this computer, but I do have a "removable hard drive" (I think it is called a Zip drive).
:idea: Could the Knoppix CD installation program be seeing this as the second hard drive (hdb) and giving me the error? :shock:

What would happen if I loaded a disk/cartridge into it? Do you think it would be recognised then? :?

Thanks for the reply - I only get about one hour a day to play with this... :cry:

Thanks again... :wink:

Yes, that would be it. I figured there had to be something that didn't show up in the HP specs. It is a known issue with Knoppix that it has problems with Zip drives if a formatted disk isn't in the drive at boot.

Mustang64
02-11-2004, 05:53 AM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

It Works!It works!It works

IT WORKS!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank You to everyone involved in the Linux projects.

I am now on my way to telling Mr Bill to shove-it!!!

Hunkah
02-11-2004, 11:02 AM
OK then fancy pants! What is wrong with mine?

I get this error:
cloop: error -3 uncompressing block xxxxx

Till it gets to the X-Server exicute lines then quits trying!

Stephen
02-11-2004, 04:45 PM
OK then fancy pants! What is wrong with mine?

I get this error:

Till it gets to the X-Server exicute lines then quits trying!

Cloop errors usually indicate a bad ISO image where Knoppix is having problems uncompressing the file you should boot with knoppix testcd.

Hunkah
02-12-2004, 05:21 AM
Thanks I figured that was the problem, only I DLed the image twice and from two different mirrors. I know it isn't my burner, it is brand new!

I will give it another shot from a different mirror.

Thanks again.

windos_no_thanks
02-12-2004, 07:25 AM
Thanks I figured that was the problem, only I DLed the image twice and from two different mirrors. I know it isn't my burner, it is brand new!

I will give it another shot from a different mirror.

Thanks again.

To check that the image you have downloaded is ok please download the corresponding *.md5 file too and calculate the md5 sum of the iso. If they match you probably have a good iso file. (If you are really careful you'd download the md5 file from several mirrors and check that they all are identical)
Even if the downloaded iso is ok things can still go wrong due to crappy burner software (of which there seems to be plenty in the windos domain) , faulty cdr:s, incompatible reader (some dvd:s are picky when reading cd:s) etc...

Hunkah
02-12-2004, 09:01 AM
Ha! I thought that was what those files were for! But I don't know how to use them, is there a quick how to? I am using a brand new lite-on 52x32x32 and the bundled nero 5.5 express. If that helps.

Hunkah
02-12-2004, 09:17 AM
Never mind I found a site:
http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/verifyiso.html

Hunkah
02-12-2004, 09:48 AM
Thankyou for pointing out this to me... I found the problem! My Download was the problem. I have 5 errors on both tests. The download was corrupt.

Mustang64
02-13-2004, 06:03 PM
Did you get it up and kickin'?