PDA

View Full Version : VMware & Knoppix XServer issue?

eric
02-15-2003, 02:26 PM
I installed Knoppix from CD (c't-Edition 04/2003) with knx-hdinstall 0.37. Everything seems to be right when I boot from harddisk, and after login I get to KDE. But when I boot this same installation from within VMware 3.2, I get a text login. The XServer does not start, because the graphics device is not recognized (in fact, it is a nVidia NV17).

I read about a XServer issue with VMware (vmware_drv.o wrong version with knoppix). But I cannot find any vmware_drv.o on my harddisk.
There is another interesting thing: when I start knoppix with VMware from ISO image, everything is running fine again (but in ram disk now).

Is there anyone who knows how to overcome this XServer issue with my hd installation?

eric
02-16-2003, 02:57 PM
Got it now: as soon as you get running knoppix from hd under vmware, you should install the vmware-tools with the option "distro: red-hat". Test the result with "startx": kde should start as usual.
Sorry for bothering you.

mogli
06-04-2003, 06:00 PM
hi eric, hi @all

i just tried installing knoppix v3.2 build 20.05.2003 under vmware 4. i was wondering how you installed the vmware-tools in knoppix since there are no given howtos or information. i just couldn't get it to work. vmware does not give a guide on how to install knoppix as a client-os. they just provide information

i tried the usual way of running >"file">"install vmware-tools" in vmware but under knoppix i could not find the mounted linux.iso which holds the vmware-linux-tools.tar.gz. i tried mounting the linux.iso as a cdrom-drive but that didn't help either.
and to be honest, even if i would have mounted the linux.iso i would not know how to install the tools from there :(

somewhere on this forum i read that it is not necessary to install the vmware-tools but graphics are slow and you always have to press ctrl+alt to release the cursor.

i would very much appreciate any help.

thx in advance

mogli

god
06-04-2003, 07:26 PM
use the linux howto.

mogli
06-04-2003, 08:21 PM
thank you for your reply though it is not much of a help. i know i might be asking newbie questions but i am new to knoppix as well as to linux. to which linux howto's are you referring to? could you be more specific, please?

thx in advance

mogli