PDA

View Full Version : 's ALL Debian

aloneinthevoid
02-15-2003, 04:03 PM
I HAVE ARRIVED!! All ye who seek knowledge may sit at my knee and, if I feel you to be worthy and you display derference and humility, I will allow you to pose a query to me regarding the arcane art of the use of the distribution of the GODS- Debian!! (May its name be thrice-blessed.)
Woe betide ll those benighted souls who use any other distribution! They shall be cast into the void, where for all eternity they shall suffer through the tortures of dependancies that are unfulfilled, while the true believers shall bask in the glory of the Holy apt/dpkg and forever rejoice!
OK, that's enough crap; I've been a dedicated Debian user for about three years now. I'm also a distro slut; if a pengiun winks at me, I HAVE to take it home.
When I first heard of Knoppix, I thought that it was probably just a toy. I guess I underestimated it, because I'm running it on both my boxes (with, among others, LibraNet 2.0, Debian Woody, Debian Sarge BeOS 5.3, and WIN98.) Looking through some of the posts on this forum, I see a lot of problems with multi-processers and AIC-7xxx SCSI on-board controllers; I guess I must have been lucky, because my server is a dual-Pentium P-266 with an on-board AIC-7880 controller, and Knoppix configured everything perfectly. By the way, I have Knoppix installed on the hard drive on both boxes. I just finished my final boot configuration for my main box, now I'm going to setup my LAN; it looks like Knoppix will be my distro of choice from now on, so I'll undoubtedly be posting some questions and comments regularly. I have to admit that having things configured on install is much easier than pure Debian's method, but there's an awful lot of application overhead in a stock Knoppix install; I think I'll look at modifiying the ISO to eliminate some of the stuff I don't need; we'll have to see how that goes, I'll post my results. :mrgreen: