PDA

View Full Version : ethernet authentication

nimsim
02-10-2004, 07:28 PM
i use a 64kbps fast ethernet connection over cat5 cable with 100Mbps ethernet card..the ISP has provided a windows executable (.exe) file for authentication of username and password...however when i try running it with wine in Knoppix..it displays errors..is there anyway of bypassing the authentication file to access the internet or is there any other utility which can help in authentication so that i can connect to the ISP... :?:

Harry Kuhman
02-11-2004, 01:26 AM
i use a 64kbps fast ethernet connection over cat5 ...
Tell us more of this 64kbps fast ethernet connection of which you speak. Is this some sort of slow DSL? Some cable setup? Some dial-up system?

If a home NAT router such as the Linksys, D-Link, SMC, etc. can be used on your system, then you could let that do whatever type of logging in is needed and you could connect to it with Knoppix (or even with Windows) with no need to run special software on the computer itself. If you have to use special windows based software on your system then a router is out (which also means you can't run a hardware firewall to protect yourself). If that's the case I would think you might want to shop around and look at other options.

By the way, 64kbps fast ethernet is a bit of an oxymoron.