PDA

View Full Version : Immediate shutdown (no waiting)

probono
02-10-2004, 11:32 PM
If you are running from CD and have no devices mounted, you can press Alt-F2 and enter

sudo poweroff -f
and the computer powers down within just a second.

IMHO, this is fully sufficient if running from CD.

Coming from Mac OS 9, I am not used to waiting when actually trying to shut down the computer. (The bootup time is also a problem. Hopefully Kernel 2.6 will allow for reliable Suspend-to-Disk...)

(Does anyone of the experts know whether the HDs get "synced" when using "poweroff -f"? If yes, one could possibly even use it with HD installs - but I don't recommend it.)

dugstratton
02-13-2004, 08:04 PM
pull the cd out and turn the power off

gazelle
04-09-2004, 06:50 AM
Re: poweroff -f

This doesn't work on a hard disk install - I did: sync;sync;sync;poweroff -f
and it turned off real good, but then had to do fsck on the next boot.

init 0 works, but is slow.

It seems like there should be something in between - not as slow/thorough as "init 0", but which still unmounts the system disk before turning off.

I tried: mount -o remount,ro /dev/hdaX
but (predictably) this didn't work.

Durand Hicks
04-10-2004, 06:41 PM
I simply type "halt" or "reboot" sans quotes in a console window and that does it for me on my hd install.

Nakarti
03-09-2006, 05:44 PM
Or you could go through Init 0 and slim down the actions it takes, or even make it all symmetrical(in rc0.d).
My updated system shuts off pretty quickly, so I don't know how much success I can report, but I'll try on the laptop and see how it goes...
Well, I guess
root@lappy:~# init 0
is just a faster way to do shutdown(because it is quite a bit faster: does the kill everything right away instead of waiting.)