PDA

View Full Version : Is Winmodem detected?

ykgoh
02-11-2004, 11:23 AM
How do I know if my PCI Winmodem has been detected by Knoppix 3.3?

When I try to setup a dial-up internet connection, the possible devices were listed. I see some /dev/tty and /dev/modem.

Cuddles
02-11-2004, 02:17 PM
Ykgoh,

It isn't so much that Knoppix 3.3 "detects" your modem, it is more likely, a two-fold issue:

1) What is your manufacturer, and chip-set of your WinModem, and
2) If Linux has drivers for that WinModem.

These two things can be accomplished by trying to find out as much information about your modem as we possibly can...

If you are in Knoppix, try the following:
Click on the "KMenu" - the "K" on the bottom left of the screen...
Go up to "System", and select "Info Center"
In Info Center...
***** select PCI on the left part of the screen, and examine the right part of the screen, you are looking for any information about your modem...
***** Upon finding your modem, take notes of the complete information, and post that back in here...
Exit Info Center

#2 - lets see what the boot up process found...
Click on the icon along the bottom of the screen, that looks like a monitor with a clam shell in front of it - this is the Command Shell...
You should get a window that has some form of a command prompt and a cursor
Something like this:

something:~# [cursor]

type dmesg [and press return or enter]

your screen should fill up with all kinds of text, scroll back through this screen of text, and look for anything having to do with your modem, you may be able to locate this information quicker if you did the "Info Center" stuff above - look for the modem in this text...

Upon finding any modem information, you can select the text with your mouse, and paste it into another post back here...

Hopefully, these two processes, will divulge information about what Knoppix has found about your modem, and we can go further in locating, if a driver exists, for your modem...

If you have, say, Windows98, and we can not locate any information in Knoppix, we might try Windows - but best bet is to see what Knoppix finds out first...

Hope this helps a little,
Cuddles