PDA

View Full Version : Compact Flash different sizes in USB reader - wiil not mount

stukennedyuk
02-11-2004, 11:57 AM
I've noticed the following problem using compact flash cards of different sizes in a PQI (GL641USB based) USB card reader. The CF cards I have are 8Mb, 32Mb, 64Mb and 128Mb (formatted FAT16 or FAT12 for the 8mb). When I remove the USB reader and replace the CF card for another of a different size, it always comes back with:

"Could not mount device - The reported error was: mount: wrong fs type, bad option....etc. etc."

This is despite unmounting the card reader and physically removing it before swapping cards. Basically, after the first mount, it remembers the size of the CF card, even after it's been removed and replaced. It took a long time to notice this! I thought it was some sort of problem with the cards getting corrupted when written to (I expected some sort of problem with the PQI reader, some mention is made on the web about a patch for the GL641USB chip). I even resorted to formatting the CF cards in an obsolete OS (WIN98SE!!!).

Anyone know how to force the system to recognise the change of CF card without having to reboot Linux? (loggining in/out/in to kde doesn't work).

I'll be Googling for an answer also....

Stu.....

stukennedyuk
02-11-2004, 12:03 PM
Oh, I have noticed that doing this works:-

rmmod usb-storage
modprobe usb-storage

between card swaps - but this is hardly 'elegant'

I've noticed that the image previews in kde also do not get updated.....

Stu.....

fingers99
02-14-2004, 03:41 PM
I get similar when I swap data stick and card reader. I think (hope!) this is the last usb bug in kernel 2.4! Can anyone using 2.6 comment?