PDA

View Full Version : Libretto L2 headaches: SOLVED

PAlvarez
02-11-2004, 02:30 PM
I installed knoppix 3.3 to my Libretto L2 via PXE. I tried to use a Linksys WPC11 card but couldn't get it to work (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7785)

Now I've discovered that any PCMCIA card won't work in that slot. I get the same type of error when using a PCMCIA CD-ROM

ide-cs: RequestIRQ: Resource in use

I know the slot works because I used it successfully when Windows 2000 was installed on it. I've tried excluding some IRQs in config.opts, but that doesn't seem to be working. Suggestions?

PAlvarez
02-28-2004, 04:59 AM
After submitting a question about my PCMCIA problems, it was suggested that I recompile/patch my kernel to support ACPI. After some more reading in the forum, I noticed that ACPI isn't included due to some booting problems on some systems. I did find that Kanotix has ACPI built in (and selectable through a GRUB menu). Kanotix did see the wireless card, no more IRQ conflicts! This is a good way to determine if APCI will resolve your problems without recompling a kernel. So, if anyone has a Libretto L2, here's what you can do:

1) You'll need a bootable USB CD-Drive or another computer running Kanotix.

NOTE: The Libretto would not boot from the PCMCIA CD-ROM, so I used the second option. All the directions below are as if you are using the second option.

2) Run Kanotix with ACPI enabled

3) From the KNOPPIX menu, select serivces->start knoppix terminal server

4) Select your nic card, then adjust the settings to taste (I took all defaults except the boot time options, which I added screen=1280x600)

5) After the terminal server is running, boot up the Libretto, hold down the left cursor key till the bootup options show up. Choose the network boot option

6) After Kanotix finally starts, open a terminal and enter:

sudo knoppix-installer

7) Install to the HD

8) Reboot and enjoy!

Now, I just need to get Kismet working......... :lol: