PDA

View Full Version : How do I get Administrative [root] password?

bob58
02-13-2004, 04:53 AM
Hello, I have just successfully ran KNOPPIX from CD on both my desktop computer [homebuilt] and my Gateway laptop. It is a great OS and I am exploring all of it but some of the settings I need to change such as setting the correct time on the clock requires "administrative privileges" and a box comes up asking for a password. How do I get this to work? I have no clue at this point....please help!!!!

Bob at: bob_ruzzo@nksd.net

johnb
02-13-2004, 07:24 AM
Open a root shell from the penguin icon/root shell. use the password command.

passwd

enter new password twice. This should give you a access to changing your settings. Check the faq for good info and tips.
I would suggest storing your new settings on floppy/harddrive/removeable storage. If knoppix suits you you might consider installing to the hard drive.
welcome to the wonderful world of knoppix.
johnb

aay
02-13-2004, 08:50 PM
Hello, I have just successfully ran KNOPPIX from CD on both my desktop computer [homebuilt] and my Gateway laptop. It is a great OS and I am exploring all of it but some of the settings I need to change such as setting the correct time on the clock requires "administrative privileges" and a box comes up asking for a password. How do I get this to work? I have no clue at this point....please help!!!!

Bob at: bob_ruzzo@nksd.net

This response is not just to bob58, but to all people new to this forum. This is one of the most frequently asked (and answered ) questions in this forum. Please do a little searching before jumping in with basic questions like this. We are glad to help but there are a LOT of new users to Linux (or at least to Knoppix) in these forums. It's hard to keep support up to a high level if the basics need to be repeated over and over. The answer to this question and many others are found in the Docs section of this forum. If you cannot find the answer to your question in the Docs section, or by using the search function of this site, then ask away. We will be glad to try and help.