PDA

View Full Version : Boot keyboard

Nadrach
02-13-2004, 11:23 AM
I have a permanent install of Knoppix 3.1 on an old Toshiba laptop (not mine, on loan). It's configured for US keyboard on boot. I have KDE changed to GB keyboard, can I patch LILO to give a boot with a GB keyboard layout? I have not found any suitable info in the man pages.

Stephen
02-13-2004, 05:03 PM
I have a permanent install of Knoppix 3.1 on an old Toshiba laptop (not mine, on loan). It's configured for US keyboard on boot. I have KDE changed to GB keyboard, can I patch LILO to give a boot with a GB keyboard layout? I have not found any suitable info in the man pages.

dpkg-recongifure console-common should give you the opportunity to change the layout.

Nadrach
02-16-2004, 01:19 PM
Ran that ... not quite the result I expected!

Selected 'from arch list', 'qwerty' and 'British', command ran, small 'uk' appeared briefly after the keymap search - seemed alright, but in practice it had the exact opposite effect from intended.

Instead of getting a GB keyboard layout in boot, console, command line in KDE, applications, etc., I had a US keyboard override everywhere, even to the extent of overriding the GB keyboard setting within the KDE desktop (and it still showed 'GB' in the icon on the footer bar) and any applications launched from it (including OpenOffice).

For the moment I have cheated. In '/usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty' I have saved the US keymap as an 'old' file and created a symbolic link to the UK keymap file. Works for me!