PDA

View Full Version : Quake2

Nick
02-16-2003, 03:32 PM
8) 8) 8) 8)

Anybody here play quake2? I have sucessfully got Knoppix running quake2 from a read-only installation on hda1 (NTFS, to boot!).

It takes a good system, and some file messing/cheating, but works OK :)

If there is enough interest, I will do a 'how-to'.

Anybody?

Nick :)

Nick
02-16-2003, 05:20 PM
I done it anyway.... very raw but works 'parrot' fashion if you follow it through.

http://www.linicks.net/kq.txt

Nick
**EDIT** I have edited a few typo's and added better sense to some parts. One thing I did change was the wording of the first part. This is to use a Windows Quake2 install, but with just the Linux binaries which are very small - all the other files (*.pak, *.bsp, *.cfg etc. etc.) are common to both.

A. Jorge Garcia
02-17-2003, 04:01 PM
Does Quake II have a separate sever and client or is everything you need included in the one program? There was a KNOPPIX Quake CD remaster recently that only had the server and I didn't get anywhere with it...

There's also Morphix with the gamemod that includes Quake II. Can I use that with Team Fortress (knoppixquake CD)?

Nick
02-17-2003, 07:08 PM
If you have the full install Quake2 on your C:\ drive (hda1), then it will include everything following my brief 'how-to'.

Basically Quake2 will start a server and [loopback] client if you play the game locally, or just a client if you play on-line to a server. You can also just start a server with the added '+set dedicated 1' directive in the server start line.

As to Morphix, I don't know, never seen/used it. I am not sure about Team Fortress either.

But remember, what I had to do here was fool Quake2 that it was executing from the 'read-only' /baseq2/ symlink... so it will have to adjusted for other games/mods to suit.

I will be looking at doing the Quake2 MOD -> D-Day: Normandy, next, but that will cover almost every Quake2 MOD as they all work the same. I don't think that will take me long now.

Nick

Alextreme
02-17-2003, 08:01 PM
Hey all,

quake2 is included in the game module, but it needs the shareware or official Quake2 CD to install normally (thats why it's not in the menu or something).

After an install, dpkg-reconfigure quake2-data to choose. Then again, i don't think many people would install a game-only iso, so i might just throw it out :P

In the next gamemod release i might throw in some nice loki-demo's, watch the changelogs and in the meantime we can all play pr/lx-doom :)

and for the people who don't know what i'm talking about: www.morphix.org :D

Nick
02-17-2003, 08:22 PM
Ummm - "is there no stopping it now". I am really, really glad I started with Linux 3 years ago. These CD installs must have M$ quaking in their boots. Windows could never beat what you Guys are doing.

Look what this could do for LAN parties - let alone Guys like me running a network... no more screwed up workstations, installs and head scratching problems that Windoze poses. Wack in a new CD, fixed!

Nick :)

Alextreme
02-17-2003, 09:37 PM
Heh, we're not there yet! :D

currently working on a better installer, more mainmodules (Server, Expert, KDE?), better features (like having nvidia included, live-updates on a liveCD, not quite there yet ;)), and this all while still having quite a number of bugs that should get fixed asap. And this is only my lill' project, there are much much more out there!

We won't get it for free however (well, we'll have to put some effort into it, they all are Free :D), so if anyone is interested in helping out (and has bandwidth to spare): test out some of the remastered versions and help by giving feedback, try to build one yourself or come up with some great ideas! We need you! :D

Wokay, enough evangalism, show's over, break it up people :P

A. Jorge Garcia
02-17-2003, 09:41 PM
OK, how does lx-doom work? Can I make a "LAN party" out of this? In other words, do you include client and server for doom?

Alextreme
02-17-2003, 10:14 PM
heh, just replied to your email, could you paste it here for everyone's enjoyment? :)

seem to be having trouble saving my sent mail... sorry ;)

A. Jorge Garcia
02-18-2003, 03:01 AM
OK:

Well, it'll be a bit old-school lanparty with Doom 1 on it, but here's how to
start a game:

I'd try llxdoom first. it has multiplayer support, and you can crank up the
videomode in the options. if that somehow doesn't work, you can fall back to lxdoom:

- lxdoom-game-server -N numberofplayers

and for the client:

- lxdoom -net serverhostname

add -d or -a for deathmatch, -w -h to adjust width and height.

- prboom only works with DRI/GLX accelerated cards, as does chromium, bzflag,
armagetron and a number of nice games... i think i left those libs out though...

other nice multplayer games:

gtetrinet, civ (freeciv), xpilot, jumpnbump (personal favorite ;), dopewars,
xshipwars (client only). More may be on the CD, but frankly i don't know them
all :o)

It won't impress gamers, but it's fun enough. My only advice is to try it out,
(btw, it's great for a room full of non-productive M$ pc's ;)

Have fun!

Alex

A. Jorge Garcia
02-18-2003, 03:01 AM
What's gtetrinet?

eadz
02-18-2003, 09:30 AM
What's gtetrinet?

Teacher and Professor
Applied Math and CompSci
Baldwin HS and Nassau CC

The Calculus Archive Project Online!
http://calcpage.tripod.com

Long Island, New York, USA
Earth, Sol, Milky Way

PLEASE reduce your .sig to 3 lines at max

13 lines when your message is 1 line is f'ing insane!

A. Jorge Garcia
02-18-2003, 03:49 PM
Aye, Aye Capt'n!

Sorry,

Alextreme
02-19-2003, 10:48 PM
gtetrinet is a multiplayer/networked tetris clone. fun, not really special :)