PDA

View Full Version : xboard networkable?

A. Jorge Garcia
02-13-2004, 05:01 PM
Here's my problem. I run the Baldwin High School Chess Club. We've had a bit of a growth spurt in membership of late. We don't have enough regulation chess sets and clocks to go around. I was hoping to have unrated tournaments played via a chess server. We were using http:// www.uschesslive.org until recently when my school decided to block every website under the sun....

How about using something like xboard? Well xboard does everything but play one-to one! You can play against the PC (gnuchess or crafty) with xboard as the interface. You can have the computer play itself. You can even play over some chess servers (ICC, etc.) but you can't play another player over your own LAN!

Is there some way to use Linux networking to have two people logged-in to the same PC and play on the same xboard remotely so they each can have their own console? That would be great as xboard has everything we need to replace regulation sets and clocks (except for the networking).

Another option, I guess, is I could allways use a free proxy server to get around the blocks....:D

TIA,
AJG