PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix ablity to access my Windows partion.

MeSo
02-13-2004, 09:15 PM
I'm a complete newbie to the Linux world. I purchased a book named "Kiss the Blue Screen of Death Goodbye" and played with the attached Knoppix disk. BAM! I was hooked. Linux was beautiful. I also liked the idea that I had access to hda1 (windows) and hda5 (a partition that I later installed Mandrake 9.2)
Here's the problem. Now that I'm using Mandrake, I'm not able to access my windows partition, (unless I log in as root, but even then, I'm only able to read and execute). I want total access, so that I may be able to pass files from Windows My Documents, ect... to my files in Linux.
As I said before, Knoppix allowed this, but the downer was that I had to run it from CD (which takes up my CD-ROM drive).
Can I load Knoppix onto my partion instead of Mandrake, and will I have the same "open" capabilities of accessing both my partions, as I did with the Knoppix CD?
Also, as a newbie, how do I exactly, install Knoppix onto my partion, instaed of Mandrake?

champagnemojo
02-13-2004, 11:44 PM
Yes...to install Knoppix you just boot the cd up all the way into KDE, and then press Ctrl+Alt+F1. That takes you to the main console where you'll see the stuff you saw while it was booting up. Type knoppix-installer. Everything else is straight-forward. Make sure you choose hda5 to install to and such. You may need to edit your fstab to have full read-write access like you do on the cd...but that's easy

You could make Mandrake be able to see and write to your windows partition too, but you should really just install Knoppix. :wink:

MeSo
02-14-2004, 01:24 AM
THANKS! OK...I got to this point. I opened up /etc/fstab in the text editor. Now what do I do to be able to read write and execute to /dev/hda1 ?

And thanks again!

/dev/hda5 / jfs defaults 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=udf:iso9660,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0
none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,sync 0 0
/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c ntfs iocharset=iso8859-1,ro 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0 :lol:

champagnemojo
02-14-2004, 03:52 AM
THANKS! OK...I got to this point. I opened up /etc/fstab in the text editor. Now what do I do to be able to read write and execute to /dev/hda1 ?

And thanks again!

/dev/hda5 / jfs defaults 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=udf:iso9660,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0
none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,sync 0 0
/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c ntfs iocharset=iso8859-1,ro 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0 :lol:

Oh, I didn't realize it was an NTFS partition. That makes it a bit trickier. Which version of Knoppix do you have? I think the 3.4C't verstion comes with Captive-NTFS. If you're using any other version you'll need to get Captive for yourself. You can get the files for Knoppix here[ (http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/CVS.html.pl#debian). They also have a Mandrake file here (http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/#download).

If you're doing this on a Knoppix install save all of those debs to a directory and then use "dpkg -i filenames of all the packages" to install. After that run "captive-install-acquire" and then type "mkdir /mnt/dosc" and finally "mount -t captive-ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/dosc" and it will let you write safely to ntfs.

Installing is the same for Mandrake other than you'd install the rpm rather than the debs. But I don't personally know how well Captive works on Mandrake. I know it works great for me on Knoppix.