PDA

View Full Version : more problems with a winmodem...please help. [solved]

cyKeMatica
02-14-2004, 07:53 AM
alright, you guys obviously have a wealth of information to offer, so here's my deal:

i know nothing about linux (besides tooling around the past couple days to try and get this to work, with limited success). i installed knoppix on my hard drive and had a tough time getting my ltwinmodem to work, but after browsing relentlessly through posts on here, i got it. until i reboot. how do i make the installation of the drivers permanent? here is what i've been doing to get the modem to work:

cd /tmp

tar -zxvf /mnt/hda6/linux/modem/ltmodem-8.26a9.tar.gz

cd ltmodem-8.26a9

./build_module

#!/bin/bash
cd /tmp/ltmodem-8.26a9
mknod /dev/ttyLT0 c 62 64
chmod a+rw /dev/ttyLT0
ln -sf /dev/ttyLT0 /dev/modem
insmod -f lt_modem.o
insmod -f lt_serial.o

my winxp is installed on hda1, knoppix on hda2, swap on hda5, and a large partition with media and whatnot on hda6 (which is where i saved the driver).

and it works fine, like i said, until i reboot, and then i have to do it all over again. any help is appreciated. thanks!

rickenbacherus
02-14-2004, 04:24 PM
I don't think you need to rebuild the driver each time although you do need to tell Linux to load the drivers on boot. It's easy- just add them to /etc/modules. Might look something like so:

rtc
ac
asus_acpi
battery
button
fan
thermal
usb-ohci
usbmouse
hid
mousedev
serial
forcedeth
i810_audio
agpgart
af_packet
autofs4
lt_modem
lt_serial

Congrats on getting the modem to work. :)

Stephen
02-14-2004, 07:31 PM
Instead of using the ./build_module you should be able to use make then make install or just the make install itself to actually install the module properly you should read the docs with the driver to be sure.

cyKeMatica
02-14-2004, 08:54 PM
alright, the modem installation is complete and functioning now, even upon reboot. thanks to all. although i seem to be having a frustrating time with programs not launching from kde when i click on them. i get a busy mouse cursor, and then it just goes away. i'm pretty sure my system resources should be able to handle the load of linux, i have a 1.2ghz duron with 512mb of ram. any suggestions would be appreciated. i tried some of the other window managers, but i still had the same problem.

Stephen
02-14-2004, 10:13 PM
alright, the modem installation is complete and functioning now, even upon reboot. thanks to all. although i seem to be having a frustrating time with programs not launching from kde when i click on them. i get a busy mouse cursor, and then it just goes away. i'm pretty sure my system resources should be able to handle the load of linux, i have a 1.2ghz duron with 512mb of ram. any suggestions would be appreciated. i tried some of the other window managers, but i still had the same problem.

It could be stale links in the menu have you tried opening a console window (clam shell icon on taskbar) and typing in the name of the program you will get to see any errors this way and it will tell if the file is not found and therefore most likely not installed or not in your path. Good to hear you got it going how about posting a short summary of the steps taken to do this so others can see the process if they come up with this page in a search.

cyKeMatica
02-14-2004, 10:54 PM
well, i know the links aren't stale, because the programs start sometimes. and usually when it won't start (i get the busy mouse icon, and then it goes away, but no program) it will pop up later. which is wierd. it's just taking super long for it. but not all the time. usually the first time i open a program, it's fine. but every time after that, it takes forever, or i just get frustrated because everything siezes on me and reboot. it's so frustrating that i don't even want to deal with trying to figure out how to set up internet connection sharing between my knoppix box (with dial up internet connection) and a winxp professional box. so any help again is extremely appreciated.

and here's the steps i used to get my lt winmodem up and functioning 100% on a hard drive install:

1. downloaded the correct driver package from http://www.linmodems.org.

2. inside knoppix, get to a root shell and type:
cd /tmp

tar -zxvf location_of_downloaded_package.tar.gz

cd folder_that_above_operation_created

./build_module (just 'enter' through all the prompts)

./ltinst2

./autoload

mknod /dev/ttyLT0 c 62 64

chmod a+rw /dev/ttyLT0

ln -sf /dev/ttyLT0 /dev/modem

insmod -f lt_modem.o

insmod -f lt_serial.o

3. this next step will enable the modem drivers to be loaded upon every start up of a hard drive install. minus this 4th step, you have everything you need for booting off the cd.

4. edit the file /etc/modules to include the following:
lt_modem
lt_serial

rickenbacherus
02-15-2004, 09:15 AM
well, i know the links aren't stale, because the programs start sometimes. and usually when it won't start (i get the busy mouse icon, and then it goes away, but no program) it will pop up later. which is wierd. it's just taking super long for it. but not all the time. usually the first time i open a program, it's fine. but every time after that, it takes forever, or i just get frustrated because everything siezes on me and reboot.

Please do as Stephen suggests and launch these applications from a terminal so that you may get some idea of what's going on. Also, open up another terminal and type top to see what's going on w/ your system. If your system is freezing it is likely due to a cpu overload.

Nice howto for the modem. :)

cyKeMatica
02-15-2004, 05:47 PM
alright, i did top and my resources are completely fine. i ran programs from the terminal also, and i had the same problem, things would just 'stop'. i have no clue what's going on, although this session seems to be doing fine. maybe it's my imagination, i don't know. thanks for you help guys.

Kreator
02-15-2004, 09:26 PM
What about a clean reinstall? Somtimes, with the search of your right configuration you mess up the things in some cases this is the only way
for me it worked