PDA

View Full Version : Persistent sound problem, esp. with integrated mobos. Ideas?

timothy
02-16-2003, 11:02 PM
Knoppix: unbelievably good, esp. as a debian installer :)

My problem (and it's occurred on several varieties of Knoppix on a few different machines) is with sound. What happens is that the pleasant voice at bootup that says "beginning startup sequence" gets stuck; it starts skipping on the word "sequence," and until the sound server is killed, the system just keeps saying the 2nd syllable over and over, so it sounds like "wence-wence-wence-wence ..." etc.

Data points: Here are three machines on which I've enountered this problem:

- Shuttle SS40 system (Duron 1700) with built in just-about-everything (http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,485198,00.asp) using a FS40 FlexATX DDR motherboard.

- Compaq iPaq (500MHz Intel PIII), another fully-integrated beast with an Intel 810e chipset.

[Note, for these two, and using the Knoppix CD I burned in September or October, I can overcome this by specifying "pci=bios" as a boot-time option, something I learned from a random someone's web page about Linux on the shuttle system. Without that option, little things like the integrated network card are ignored.]

- a generic 1GHz PIII laptop I encountered visiting my dad's house (his laptop); I did not know about and so did not try the pci=bios option on that.

And contrariwise, Knoppix sound works fine on another system of mine (including the Athlon system I'm tapping this one, using the integrated Apollo sound). That's the system I'm typing this from, in fact :)

*However* with the newer Knoppix I burned last month, I get the sound stuttering on the Shuttle system even if I specify pci=bios. Again, everything else seems to work great ..

So what is it about me, knoppix and sound? I've seen this happen on a few other systems as well. So, while Knoppix does a great job otherwise of hardware detection etc, on a majority of the systems I've so far tried I get this stuttering. I can see this being a big turn-off to someone who expected working sound on their system. Maybe I'm just a statistical anomoly, and it works better for everyone else -- I hope so.

I inquired about this a little while ago on the knoppix IRC channel and hit some helpful people but no one who knew what the secret was, if there is one. Any ideas? I'd rather have no sound than "wence-wence-wence ..."

Thanks,

Tim

TB
10-03-2003, 06:53 PM
I've got precisely the same problem with v3.3.......although i believe the polite voice for me is speaking german. I'm using a Biostar M7VIF MoBo which has Avance AC97 onboard sound. At least I am not the only one suffering this problem.......although I realise this is a very old thread. Has this issue been successfully resolved?

einna
11-27-2003, 06:42 PM
the same it's happening to me with my laptop (an airis).

i downloaded knoppix 3.3 and i only could listen the voice repeating the same sentence...

so, i tried with knoppix 3.2 and the same again!!

have you solutioned it??

i'll try today with 3.1 version....

un hola hola from spain

L2Cache
11-27-2003, 08:41 PM
You might try this cheat code at boot: knoppix alsa

doubled157940
11-28-2003, 07:39 AM
You might try this cheat code at boot: knoppix alsa

sorry it didn't work. no error or anything. what now? :?

einna
11-28-2003, 07:43 PM
thanx, but i tried and... nah!! :(

with 3.1 version the same... and with another distributions based on knoppix is happening the same...

any more ideas? :)

gigi188
01-05-2004, 05:20 PM
Hi, I have the same problem, and I am so new to Knoppix and Linux that I don't know how to stop it, other than turning off my speakers.

Is there a way to kill the log-in sound and have the sound card function afterwards anyway? Something like the task manager in windows?

Something odd: The very first time I booted from the CD, I did NOT have this problem! But I've had it every single time afterwards.

I have version 3.3 on a SOYO P4X400 Dragon Lite mother-board, with 256 megs of memory, a 2.2 GHz Celeron, and an Nvidia GeForce 2 MX400 64 meg video card. I *LOVE* what I see of Knoppix so far, but I need to resolve this sound issue. Thanks for any help!

Gigi 188