PDA

View Full Version : help with installing programs NOT with apt-get

cyKeMatica
02-15-2004, 07:40 PM
hey guys, i downloaded mozilla firefox and it says just to extract the tar file and run 'firefox'. that's all well and dandy, but how do i make a link to it on the K menu? and also, i extracted it into the /home/knoppix folder. is there a specific place where i should have put it? thanks for the help.

towjamb
02-15-2004, 09:08 PM
hey guys, i downloaded mozilla firefox and it says just to extract the tar file and run 'firefox'. that's all well and dandy, but how do i make a link to it on the K menu? and also, i extracted it into the /home/knoppix folder. is there a specific place where i should have put it? thanks for the help.

Hey, you're right ... no compiling.
You can make a link by right-clicking on the big "K" menu icon and choosing "Menu Editor". Now highlight, say, the "Internet" tree, go up to the file menu, and choose "new item". Name your item (Firefox) and hit OK. To the right, you need to give a command to this link by browsing to the folder you extracted Firefox to and choosing the "Firefox" shell script. (You can run Firefox from any folder you wish but you'll need root permission to place it into, say, usr/bin.) Also, click on the big boring icon to the right and choose a better one (you'll find a Firefox icon in the same extracted folder.) Tip: From the Kmenu, you can drag any link to the desktop or into the taskbar.
Hope that helps.