PDA

View Full Version : i don't have a floppy drive.

talz13
02-15-2004, 11:13 PM
i was reading about the dual boot instructions, and in step 9 it said that the boot floppy was required in a later step...

well that's a problem for me... i don't have access to any floppy drives in order to boot from one! there must be a way to go through the installation without needing a floppy drive!

i thought i saw someone mention that they did it without a floppy, but i don't know how he did it.... could someone elaborate on this for me please? :oops:

rickenbacherus
02-16-2004, 02:06 AM
You don't need a floppy to set up dual boot. Simply run the installer:

knoppix-installer

and be sure to install lilo to MBR. That will find your windows partition and automatically add windows to your OS selection menu. It really is that easy. If for some reason lilo faiuls to install properly you can boot the cd again and fix it.

talz13
02-16-2004, 02:13 AM
so if i have my second hard drive, just install it to that drive? is there a way to get it to load knoppix with the nt loader without using a floppy or anything?

talz13
02-16-2004, 02:37 AM
and is it easy to set XP as the default choice? i haven't seen much about lilo before (linux newb here :lol: )

rickenbacherus
02-16-2004, 04:01 PM
so if i have my second hard drive, just install it to that drive? is there a way to get it to load knoppix with the nt loader without using a floppy or anything?

You can install Linux to any drive you like but seriously, are you asking how to set up ntldr in a Linux forum? I wouldn't have the slightest idea. Try a windows forum.

rickenbacherus
02-16-2004, 04:02 PM
and is it easy to set XP as the default choice? i haven't seen much about lilo before (linux newb here :lol: )

/etc/lilo.conf is where you'd set the default.

Fabianx
02-16-2004, 10:05 PM

Yes, there is.

Just copy the file /mnt/hdaX/linboot.img to where your NT-Partition is and add it in the NT-Bootloader ...

cu

Fabian

PS: Also see docs-section in this homepage

talz13
02-17-2004, 01:18 AM
ok, i copied the linboot.img file to my c:\, and added the following line at the end of my boot.ini file:

C:\linboot.img = "Knoppix"

it shows up in the boot loader, i can select it, but the cursor sits there blinking. if i reboot and select windows, i can boot xp perfectly fine