PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix_V3.3-2004-02-16

Stephen
02-16-2004, 10:04 AM
Hello everyone,

since someone pointed out that login after harddisk installation does
not work, and there were some other small fixes pending, I just made
another update.

* V3.3-2004-02-16 (more Updates & Bugfixes)
- Updated /etc/X11/Xsession to fix X-Login on installed version
- Updated pcitable for nforce ethernet chipsets
- timezone fix from Tim Pope
- Don't set DefaultColorDepth in XF86Config-4 if using fbdev module
- Fixed empty /etc/network/interfaces broadcast line in netcardconfig

Should be on the mirrors anytime soon (on bittorrent first, see
http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de:6969/ ).

Regards
-Klaus Knopper

Razor-X
02-16-2004, 07:05 PM
Yay, we're getting closer to 3.4 status. And.... i'm first to post.

tboege
02-17-2004, 12:41 AM
Also available from my tracker http://www.boegenielsen.dk:6969/

valonso
02-17-2004, 05:28 PM
I have the same problem than with 09-03-04 version. Whe I install it to HDD some modules doesn't load at start up
and I can't access my TV video card, ext3 partitions, etc..

I'm not an expert, but it seems as if it would try to load modules for the 2.4.20 kernel :-(

valonso
02-19-2004, 09:35 AM
I'm sorry. It was my fault. I had a problem with the kernel I loaded in my lilo.

This version installs perefectly to HDD.

Craig2
03-04-2004, 03:26 PM
There was a language problem in OpenOffice on one of the older Knoppix releases. It was coming up German on English installations.

The newer versions (tested on 3.3-2004-02-09-EN) works correctly for "knoppix" user, where OpenOffice initially installs and runs with English language. But for other users (I have old linux system on hard disk, running knoppix from cd, able to run other users by su'ing to them then starting applications as the other users after mounting their partitions), OpenOffice installs and runs with German language.

While my situation is old linux users on hard disk, I also tried adding new users to knoppix, with the same problem. Knoppix user runs OpenOffice in English language. Other users install and run in German language, even though no other changes were made to locality or other. Others will run into the same situation if they try adding users then running OpenOffice from the different users.

I tried editing the configuration file for the OpenOffice install, to the two digit code for English, even going down all the lines and changing all the spots where the two digit code exists, changing from German two digit to English two digit, then restarting, rebooting, cold booting, nothing works. I also tried this with new users with no OpenOffice configuration file pre-existing in their directories, and tried deleting the OpenOffice configuration files (whole directories) of the old linux users. Then running again (including the re-install when it doesn't find the configuration file). I also deleted the configuration files of the earlier versions of OpenOffice, 1.0.x, 64x?, and nothing worked. The version of OpenOffice is 1.1, that I'm having the trouble with and the Knoppix version is stated above.

Nothing works. So for me to use OpenOffice, I (and other users) have to use it while logged in as knoppix, then save, then change owners of files to save in correct directories, then change back when re-editing, etc. Or save to pdf, then change owner, transfer file to disk, sneakernet, then transfer to different computer to print. The sneakernet is a network connectivity problem, unrelated. But the changing of owner/group, then changing back for re-edits I could do without.

Is there a step or screen missing from OpenOffice that can or should be added to make sure it is installing in the correct language? Perhaps a configuration file outside of OpenOffice? I took a look at the script that installs OpenOffice, but I don't understand it much. I didn't see anything that would indicate a preferred language, or a country code in that script.

Jean Béliveau
03-19-2004, 04:26 AM
Arrows keys and F1-F10 keys in partimage with KNOPPIX-2004-02-16-EN not work!
Without arrow key impossible to chose partition in partimage! But partimage work well with those keys in KNOPPIX-2004-02-09 and older versions.

In the same 2004-02-16 boot form CD-ROM, arrow keys works with cfdisk in a console text in KDE or a console text open by ctrl-alt-f2 or after a init 3 int those console or after a boot with cheatcode 2. or after startx in the KDE in a shell windows.
But partimage fail to arrow key command in those situations and when open by the KDE menu.

Partimage work from menu and console windows and ctrl-alt-f2 console in 2004-02-09 version and older.

Same result with or without cheatcodes keyboard=cf, vsync=60, xmodulke=fbdev, with a Duron Pro3100A+ on a L7VMM3 or a Pentium 350 on a BrillantXB1 with a Matrox G200 AGP. I try two 105 keys int PC Keyboard ( Compaq and AST) and I obtain same résult.

I like partimage bycause I can browse and write during backup. wih or without installing KNOPPIX on hd. It very usufull for backup of a machine were i can not install anything.

I will be happy if somone post on the forum a path or a script or cheatcode or .... to fix this bug.

rcook
03-19-2004, 05:24 PM
Random thought, I'm not where I can boot KNOPPIX to check: Could these be a problem in skeleton configurations stored in the etc directory. Is there a language or keyboard selection in there some where?

Jean Béliveau
03-19-2004, 09:18 PM
I have try to use partimage with or without keyboard and language cheatcode and partimage never work in 2004-02-16 but work in 2004-02-09. But in the 2004-02-09 partimage work with and without keyboad=cf or lang=fr. The arrow key work in cfdisk in boot KNOPPIX and all lang or keyboard (us or cf) options. So I don't thing it a langue or language or keyboard issue.

But the console for partimage is colored, cfdisk black and white.
It not the same console. Arrow keys work in cfdisk with keyboard=cf or lang=fr in 2004-02-16.