PDA

View Full Version : Drive CRC errors upon startup after HD install

allanorn
02-17-2004, 02:58 AM
Hi folks,

I've been having an issue with starting Knoppix 3.3 after I do a HD install.

Apparently I'm getting the following errors upon startup.

Configuring network interfaces ... usb_control/bulk_msg:timeout
input: USB HID V1.10 Keyboard [BTC Multimedia USB Keyboard] on usb1:3.0
Operation Failed.
Done.

<snip>

Cleaning: /tmp /var/lock /var/run
blk: queue c0334b60, limit 4095MB (0xfffffffff)
blk: queue c0334ca8, limit 4095MB (0xfffffffff)
hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }

... and it hangs.

Any ideas? I've been working on this all day. Thanks in advance.

griffjon
02-23-2004, 06:04 PM
I'm having the same problem. I did a low-level format of the drive, and re-cfdisked (it's a clean HDD), and am stll encountering this error. I'm wondering if it is a bad CD burn?

fingers99
02-24-2004, 05:01 AM
I think it's more likely to be a cableing or jumpering error (though some here have suggested different remedies).

allanorn
02-24-2004, 07:39 AM
I've used this drive for years as a Windows drive, so I know it's not jumpering or cables. I'm wondering if I'm hitting a 4GB limitation somewhere since all the bitmasks are set to 1.

Stephen
02-24-2004, 07:58 AM
Hi folks,

I've been having an issue with starting Knoppix 3.3 after I do a HD install.

Apparently I'm getting the following errors upon startup.

Configuring network interfaces ... usb_control/bulk_msg:timeout
input: USB HID V1.10 Keyboard [BTC Multimedia USB Keyboard] on usb1:3.0
Operation Failed.
Done.

<snip>

Cleaning: /tmp /var/lock /var/run
blk: queue c0334b60, limit 4095MB (0xfffffffff)
blk: queue c0334ca8, limit 4095MB (0xfffffffff)

... and it hangs.

Any ideas? I've been working on this all day. Thanks in advance.

Edit the file /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh and near the bottom you should see a line with hdparm -d1 /dev/hda put a # character at the start of the line to comment it out. If this does not take care of the problem then your drive may be going bad you should get a testing program and find out. BTW in regards to your last post windows will happily accept a cable select for the jumpers, sometimes Linux will not they need to be set master or slave.

bsjawle
06-18-2004, 07:29 PM
I am getting similar error and would want to try out the suggestion. May be being a newbie I am missing something. After failing to boot due to above mentioned problem after HD install, I booted from LiveCD and tried to find hdparm line in /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh but couldn't find any. I could find in knoppix-autoconfig though. I don't know whether I should be modifying it or whether I am looking into right place (as I am booting from CD)
Pls. advise.

symcbean
08-12-2004, 11:07 PM
Hi,

I might have solved the problem. I was setting up a used machine (formerly had Win98). I first went with SuSe but my install disks wouldn't read. Got sort of a working system but nothing to impress. Had a knoppix CD handy, so shoved it in and got it installed. Only problem was I was getting these errors regularly. I hadn't seen anything with Win98/SuSe but hadn't used either extensively, so I assumed it must be a hardware fault. Tried a new hard drive. Tried moving the hard drive from IDE0 to IDE1. To no avail.

I messed around with various other settings. Then looked at the kernel startup (in /etc/lilo.conf) - the command line contains hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi.... Which was a new one to me. The kernel documentation didn't explain it, so I changed each entry to hdX=none except for the one disk which was installed which I changed to hdc=autotune. It's been running and in use for about 3 hours now without a single occurrence - but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed :?

HTH

jackiechen858
01-04-2005, 06:06 PM
Thanks for this message, I fixed it by changing the hd jumper from cable select to master. Also I still don't know why. The orignal redhad 6.2 works fine under calbe select. The Knoppix 3.4 pop up the CRC error, but it's still working without any other problem.