PDA

View Full Version : Viewing images in knoppix

knoppixnewbie
02-17-2004, 09:10 AM
Is it possible to view images from the console in knoppix?

fingers99
02-17-2004, 12:52 PM
Not entirely sure what you mean. You can call gimp from a terminal:

gimp /path/To/myPic.jpeg

and it'll open up the image. But you really need X to see pics!

Cuddles
02-17-2004, 04:13 PM
KnoppixNewbie,

I think what you are "saying" is you want to view an image in the command shell - First, I think this is something that (I think) would be like running VPIC in DOS, on a Windows, or DOS system. Second, The "Command Shell" is not a DOS prompt, as one would think if they view it coming from a DOS/Windows system.

In a way, the shell is like a DOS prompt, in that, you can run a program from the Shell, and in DOS, and if it has a GUI, both Knoppix, and Windows, will bring the program up in the GUI, rather that in a DOS text mode.

I am not really sure that a "Shell" window "can" view a graphic, considering that even in a DOS prompt, and a DOS program, In the DOS/Windows World, the graphic viewing program would still have to get some form of a GUI loaded to display a graphic on the screen. The easiest thought on a graphic program running in Knoppix, is to use the "already" loaded GUI to display/edit a graphics image.

If you are installed on a hard drive, I am sure a "apt-cache search imageeditor" or a "apt-cache search imageviewer" will return a few programs/packages, but I think they will still only run from within the GUI itself.

Thats my 2 shillings worth,
Cuddles