PDA

View Full Version : Installing ANYTHING?

Ridgeburner
02-17-2003, 04:47 AM
Alright i've tried and tried so many diff ways around it but cannot seem to get it to work for the life of me..

Is there ANY WAY, ANYWAY at all, to install programs and such on Knoppix? WITHOUT installing Knoppix to the HD, I want to be able to install programs, etc. I was thinking of installing things to the Ram Drive, but couldnt get it to work. If someone can please FINALLY clear it up if there is a way or not (no matter how complicated) BESIDES installing knoppix to the HD, that'd be so awesome.
Thanks again in advance!

-Matt

aay
02-17-2003, 05:47 AM
The only way that I know of to do this is by remastering your own CD. You can check out the instructions in the FAQ if you want to try this option.

A. Jorge Garcia
02-17-2003, 03:51 PM
I posted the same question on linuxtag. It seems to me that the ramdisk acts like it has the standard hdd directory structure. Why can't we install say a small program on the fly to the ramdisk? You're only limitation would be how much ram you have vs how big the program is, right?

I don't know why, but I can't get this to work either. Anyone out there get this to work? Please let us know.

Stephen
02-18-2003, 08:19 AM
I do not know about running any programs from the ramdisk but I extracted the hard drive install script to the ramdrive and ran it from there for the install so it might work for programs.

AvidLinuxUser
02-18-2003, 12:37 PM
You can install and run any program as long as it can fit in you ram and live in your /home directory.

The ramdisk does not store all the directories only links to the read only directories on the CD-ROM drive (in the /KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX cloop file).

Ridgeburner
02-19-2003, 01:18 AM
Well that's wrong it seems, b/c access is denied to the main /home directory, especially since it's all run off the CD I've tried everything, and (in this example) im install AIM onto knoppix, and it's set to install on the ./usr/lib and .usr/lib and so on, which is a directory stored on the knoppix CD. :( I've tried everything, I dont think it'll ever work.

aay
02-19-2003, 03:00 AM
Sorry, I didn't read your first post close enough. Yes as others have pointed out, you should be able to do this. Very cool idea. Wish I could be of more help but I will be bearing it in mind.

AvidLinuxUser
02-19-2003, 01:03 PM
Well that's wrong it seems, b/c access is denied to the main /home directory, especially since it's all run off the CD I've tried everything, and (in this example) im install AIM onto knoppix, and it's set to install on the ./usr/lib and .usr/lib and so on, which is a directory stored on the knoppix CD. :( I've tried everything, I dont think it'll ever work.

As I said /home or /ramdisk/home is on the ramdisk and it is writable. You would have to make the program use ~/usr/lib (~ is short for your current users home directory). If aim will install like that you should be able to run it.

You should be able to copy the contents from a .deb file using mc (midnight commander) to your home directory and then add directories like ~/usr/lib ~/lib etc. to your path. The problem is most programs look for config files in /etc not ~/etc. (Please note I said most not all)

There are many other ways that you could add any program but they get more and more complex.