PDA

View Full Version : Cant select a different background.

Lemming
02-18-2004, 01:02 PM
When i do right click > configure desktop > background > wallpaper and i press browse it opens a brown screen called "control module" in which my mouse goes terribly slow,and its completely useless,its just a empty screen,so how do i get that button to open Konqueror? :roll:

Its kind of stupid that i cant select another background :)

Cuddles
02-18-2004, 02:51 PM
Lemming,

I think something else is going on here, because I have Knoppix v3.3, hard drive installed on a 41gig hard drive, a AMD 1.7 GHZ processor, and 512 Meg of RAM, and going through the steps you state, all of my windows "pop" on the screen (almost) instantly, and the browse button throws up the same "Settings - KDE Control Module" you speak of, again, (almost) instantly, and with it populated with default backgrounds found in /usr/share/... (of which, I have about 20 jpeg images, those being "default" images from my hard drive install, and being default images from Knoppix v3.3 - I have not "gotten" any new ones through a apt-get, or from a download)

Only thing I can think of:
I used to run Knoppix from the CDROM - and that was on a DVD drive, running at 12x speed, I think.

Questions:
(1) Are you running Knoppix off the CDROM? If so, what speed is your CDROM drive?
(2) What type and speed is your processor?
(3) How much RAM do you have?
(4) Is all the hardware on your computer running OK? (in Knoppix that is. My thinking is: possibly something is hanging up Knoppix and slowing down what you are asking it to do.)

Just some ideas,
Cuddles

Lemming
02-18-2004, 11:10 PM
1: hd install
2: p3 800
3: 640 MD sdr
4: All things work,only the vidcard im not sure of,havent played quake on it yet..

Oh,and if i press the "home" button on my taskbar,it does the same,might be something to do with konqueror(just found this out).

Lemming
02-19-2004, 09:02 PM
Ok,so heres whats going on:

When i press the "home" button on my taskbar it does the same thing as the browse button,but if i open konqueror and the go to /home/knoppix or the map in /usr/share with the background images it works fine,so it only screws up when it has to go directly to a directory.

Whats causing this? :(